What's new
What's new

Plastic injection molding resources

Maybe I'm overly ambitious to even attempt this, as I said, I'm starting from zero. I have some product designs I think could be successful and I've invested in the tools and developed the skills to prototype them, and now I'm looking to expand to producing them. I would probably be better off contracting with professionals to have this done, but I have a personal interest in learning to do it all myself; it's just something I've always wanted to do and I have a day job that pays better than I could make starting from over again in the trade, so I'm just going it alone.

So with that.. I have no idea how many I will need or how quickly. The AR accessories market can be feast or famine, so I could struggle to sell 60,000 units over 10 years or I could need 60,000 per month for a short duration. I'd like to position myself to be capable of meeting a high demand if required to capitalize on what would probably be a short window of opportunity. And if not required, I'll do a limited run of that part and switch to another design for another industry. If I could sell 60,000 units in total over several years, I'd call that a success. At this point, if I can break even with what I've spent for all my equipment, I'd be happy. I was 3/4 of my way through an engineering degree until the college decided to change the curriculum on me, adding extra class requirements and removing previous exemptions to extort more money out of me. I told them to pound sand and decided to spend the rest of my college funds on machine tools and CAD/CAM software. So the prospect of having to redo 200 hours of work is nothing compared to the time I wasted in college and in the end I get to learn something useful and keep a shop full of machine tools. The 200-300 lbs of scrap steel is the bigger issue, as my funds are not unlimited.
We’re you able to develop a procedure or process for for machining your molds? Is there step by step guide reference book somewhere one can use?

We’re you able to develop a procedure or process for for machining your molds? Is there step by step guide reference book somewhere one can use?
Unfortunately I had to backburner this for the time being. The machinery market blew up before I could acquire everything I need and I feel the timing for introducing new products is not good right now anyway. I expect things will change in the coming months and hope to be able to pick it up again this fall or next spring. I've not found any step by step reference books, but the books mentioned in this thread have all been very good resources for designing molds.

Back