What's new
What's new

Plastic printers for prototypeing

Again, it's not that simple. Contact some service bureaus and see what they say. I absolutely would not try that as my first 3d printed part on a $500 machine. You will not succeed.

How long ago was that? Curious, because it seems like the technology has come a long way in the last couple of years. The parts I received I would characterize as a whole lot better than a "basic visual".

The machine was from 2006. I last used it in 08. Yes it is more then just a "basic visual" but I would not use it for a production run if thats the route you are going. Like anything in manufacturing it is a case by case if you should use it.

after looking at your pictures. Please stay away from the $500 prototyper. I'd use a 4 axis cnc machine and hallow out the inside and whole then flip it around for the other side. then you can index it to get at the holes in the tabs...if you have access to that kind of equipment...might have over looked something to so use your OWN judgement.
17' good luck with that. I think you ment 17"...i hope. also thats a big size part for the average EDM machine. Run time in a EDM machine may also be 3 times longer then milling it out.

They are fun toys and easier to use for non-machinists because you dont need to know all the machining 'strategies' like fixturing, and CAM/g-code programming, etc.

They usually print thermalplastic parts, although I think some university is using them to print artificial organs using tissue or hydrogels or something too, but instead of a heat gun their head is a syringe nozzle.

One of the downsides not mentioned much vs CNC milling is the time. They are by no means fast. Ive used comercial and hobby 3d printers and the print time can be extremely long. In almost all cases, a good machinist can probably machine the intended part faster. Also the parts are most likely going to have some porosity. As already mentioned too, the tolerances are not very good. THe surfaces are not flat and wil require post-processing if you like smooth surfaces etc.

Its good for prototyping workshops I guess of some corporate R&D design studio due to its ease of use.

Back