What's new
What's new

Please help identify old lathes, mills, equipment (was Vintage info)

I apologize for late response,had the flu for a few days.i have not found a model number on it yet but am going back to where it is at this evening and will look for any other markings on it.as for the loading of it,I have 30 more days to clean building out.if I sell any of the machines within that time there is no problem at all loading them.i have forklift there and floor is all concrete.i plan on unbolting them from floor and using 50 ton hyd Jack's lift and set on dollies designed to move heavy machines and pull each of them out and load on trailer..but even if after the 30 days they will be at my shop where loading them will not be a problem.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I'm still interested in the shaper, if you cannot identify the model#, then get me physical dimensions and I can probably figure it out. The 18" model would probably be ideal for my shop, might be able to squeeze the 20" model in, think the 24" is just going to be too big, and its impossible for me to judge the size by pics. Let me know.

Re: Tooling for the shaper. The tool currently installed in shaper pictured is for cutting keyways in bores, if there are more of those, with different diameter bars, they would all go with shaper. The part of the tool held into the machine is very similar to lathe tooling, so you may find some of those without the bar installed, they would all be specific to the shaper. The bars themselves could possibly be used in a lathe as boring bars. The other tooling that would go with shaper is standard JH Williams tool holders, I can get a pic of some of those if you need it, they come in several sizes, it might be possible to differentiate what goes with shaper or lathe by the size, but it might be that previous owner used them interchangeably.

Question for all: I've never owned a shaper so no expert on the tooling, is there any other tooling besides the holders with bars and the standard tool holders that would be specific to a shaper?

Re: Tooling for the shaper. The tool currently installed in shaper pictured is for cutting keyways in bores, if there are more of those, with different diameter bars, they would all go with shaper. The part of the tool held into the machine is very similar to lathe tooling, so you may find some of those without the bar installed, they would all be specific to the shaper. The bars themselves could possibly be used in a lathe as boring bars. The other tooling that would go with shaper is standard JH Williams tool holders, I can get a pic of some of those if you need it, they come in several sizes, it might be possible to differentiate what goes with shaper or lathe by the size, but it might be that previous owner used them interchangeably.

Question for all: I've never owned a shaper so no expert on the tooling, is there any other tooling besides the holders with bars and the standard tool holders that would be specific to a shaper?

My understanding is that most Armstrong/Williams lantern style tool posts that hold the cutter parallel to the clapper box are made for shapers, while those that permanently hold the cutter at some angle to the compound are for lathes. There might be some exceptions, but I am no expert on it either.

Honestly, I'd love to have that Puntnam under my roof, but space... money... vacation time....:(

My understanding is that most Armstrong/Williams lantern style tool posts that hold the cutter parallel to the clapper box are made for shapers, while those that permanently hold the cutter at some angle to the compound are for lathes. There might be some exceptions, but I am no expert on it either.

Honestly, I'd love to have that Puntnam under my roof, but space... money... vacation time....:(

The "T" style tool holders (with no rake on the tool bit) were primarily made for use with carbide tooling in lathes, with shaper and planer use being secondary. Armstrong's dedicated shaper and planer tool holders place the tool bit more in line with the center of the clapper box.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back