What's new
What's new

Please help identify this tool

SolidWorksBest

Plastic
Greetings to all. This is my first post. I've read & scrolled on this site for many years, finally decided to join. The pool of knowledge here is refreshing, much respect to all. May I ask, can anyone please help identify this tool? It belongs to a neighbor of mine, he asked me and I just can't figure it out. There are no markings on it, no part numbers and no brand name. It's roughly 9-1/4" long, the disc/tip at the base is 5/8" OD and around .170" thick.
If any other info is needed, please let me know.
Thank you to all in advance
My very best
Gerhard

Attachments

• IMG_0570.jpg
    IMG_0570.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_6451.JPG
    IMG_6451.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_6452.jpg
    IMG_6452.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 412
Your neighbor handed you his tool and wants you to figure it out? That sentence does not sound so good. Looks like his tool is over 10" long. :eek:
What do the copper parts connect to that we cannot see? Hard drive reader arm for a massive 10 MB hard drive from the 1800s? With a custom Do-Hicky end effector for a use we cannot understand?

I'm going to speculate this is a piece of a purpose-built dispensing machine, maybe for glue or something similar. If you supply water through the bent small-diameter tube, does it come out of the holes on the disk? Does the cam at the clevis end activate a valve controlling the flow?

That’s a good one, looks like a compensating plannimeter had an affair with the illegitimate offspring of a giant dti who was a a relation of a high class record arm ( very)
Pass, alien tech from Roswell?
Mark

Perhaps it’s surgical, Frankenstein neck bolt setting jig, bar mitzvah calibrator, perhaps a bit big
It does look hilger and watts auto camparator build or microscopic dodah definately fascinating
Mark
I had a thought, the pivot looks like a faceting arm used for diamond grinding
On a face wheel?

Greetings to all. This is my first post. I've read & scrolled on this site for many years, finally decided to join. The pool of knowledge here is refreshing, much respect to all. May I ask, can anyone please help identify this tool? It belongs to a neighbor of mine, he asked me and I just can't figure it out. There are no markings on it, no part numbers and no brand name. It's roughly 9-1/4" long, the disc/tip at the base is 5/8" OD and around .170" thick.
If any other info is needed, please let me know.
Thank you to all in advance
My very best
Gerhard

To what end ?

Doug you may be right, to what end indeed, if you get the quiz right the MIB will be round right smart, probe in hand, every trace of you will be expunged along with your shop, then becoming slaves for the invading overlords, oh wait they’ve already done that
Mark

A carefully made component of a larger assembly/machine. Without more info, chances appear to be small that you are going to get an ID.
Your neighbor has two of these things, and they appear to be slightly different. What can he say about where when how he acquired them and what other things may have accompanied them? Are the holes in the disk threaded, and are they through-holes? Is the bent finger a tube, and if so what do you observe if you blow through it? ...Etc.

-Marty-

The cast metal frame to me doesn't imply a one-off shop made project, but is more likely commercially made to some quantity. That said, I wouldn't call it a "tool" so much as a part of a machine. I could be wrong, but it doesn't look like anything related to subtractive material removal such as in a machine shop, but might be related to some kind of injection molding machine or other plastic/composite additive manufacturing process. They look to be fairly clean, so I'm guessing they are either brand new, or used in something that doesn't create a lot of mess. If they were used for some kind of glue or paint application, I doubt they would have painted the frame as it's going to strip off in time with cleanings.

The little wheel on the end looks like it had set screws intersecting the holes along the outer edge, implying removable bits or other interchangeable or expendable pieces.

My vote is some kind of blown or molding process machine.

Thank you for your response & thank you to everyone for the help. I found myself looking up the Turboencabulator trunkling valve only to realize it's a machine shop version of blinker fluid, totally got me..
To respond to M.B. Naegle, I agree that they're production pieces, due to the cast frame as you said. The radial holes on the disc run thru to the other side & are thread free. The holes on the very bottom are tapped & line up with the radial holes. The tube does allow air flow out all of the disc's holes. When the lobe near the top is depressed the inside mechanism (everything within the frame)moves slightly downward, then back up into place. This action is adjustable via the side adjustment knurled knob. Again, thanks to everyone.

Thank you for your response & thank you to everyone for the help. I found myself looking up the Turboencabulator trunkling valve only to realize it's a machine shop version of blinker fluid, totally got me..
To respond to M.B. Naegle, I agree that they're production pieces, due to the cast frame as you said. The radial holes on the disc run thru to the other side & are thread free. The holes on the very bottom are tapped & line up with the radial holes. The tube does allow air flow out all of the disc's holes. When the lobe near the top is depressed the inside mechanism (everything within the frame)moves slightly downward, then back up into place. This action is adjustable via the side adjustment knurled knob. Again, thanks to everyone.

Air gauge head for measuring the ID of something?

Back