What's new
What's new

Please help me understand what makes a thread title meaningful

welderboy250

Aluminum
I’m quite confused by a thread being closed for reason of meaningless thread title. The thread was titled in the likeness of the piece of tooling in question. I don’t understand how that is considered meaningless and I don’t understand what it would take for it to be considered meaningful.
Furthermore there are many threads on this site titled after the model of a tool or machine. I don’t understand how that is significantly different than a thread titled after the model of a specific piece of tooling or machine attachment. Please enlighten me.

Milland

Diamond
The basic problem was that the part number you used to title the thread wasn't very meaningful without looking it up. Next time, try something like "Trying to identify best use of tool holder XD-34-B", a description that gives people reading it an idea of the body of the post.

The site Gros Fromage wants folks to be able to find topics while searching Google or whatever engine as easily as possible, and sometimes he's ruthless about closing threads.

[Also, don't call him "Gros Fromage", he hates that...]

Milland

Diamond
Another tip - for some reason, thread titles don't have automatic spell check active, so if you're not sure you got the words right make the title in the main body (here), then cut/paste it into the title block.

Also, if you want to edit the title after posting, you have to use the "Go Advanced" edit option, and even then there's a very limited time to make the change (maybe an hour or so? Not sure).

EPAIII

Diamond
I think the idea is to provide as much real information in the title as possible.

After reading the original post and three answers, I still have very little understanding of the situation. Going along with the answer below, if it is a "tool holder", then that would have been two real good words to put in the title. If it has a manufacturer's name or logo on it, that also would have been a good thing to include. Oh, and what about what machine tool it may be intended to be used on. And what are you asking about it. It's color? It's cost? It's method of mounting? Where can it be purchased? You may have your question firmly fixed in YOUR head, but there are many questions you may be asking about it. Don't make the reader guess.

Example:

Where to Buy Acme Scraper Tool Holder, #: XD-34-B.

or

Need Price for Tool Holder with Fish Shaped Logo, #: XD-34-B

You may not know all of what I suggest, but you should provide as much as possible. Just asking about "tooling" with a stated part number does not give the reader much to go by unless that reader is already WELL acquainted with and remembers that exact part number.

Much has been said here about this being a BB for working professionals who have no time to waste. If you want an answer, you should provide as much information about your question in the title as possible so that the reader does not need to read the entire post just to know if he/she may have anything to contribute.

Oh, and here is a flash bulletin: PART NUMBERS are not unique. There is no world wide registry for them. Any manufacturer or seller can use any part number they wish, even if it has been used by a well known company for dozens of years. So it is not really possible to reverse look-up the name of a manufacturer from a part number. Even if there was a database that listed them that way, you would probably get several, dozens, or even hundreds of hits from any single part number. I have seen examples of such lists/databases that cover just one industry and they are almost impossible to use. You need to run down many parts, often completely different types of parts, before getting to the one that is desired. This can take HOURS or even DAYS or more.

So, just what was the actual title that was used and closed?

The basic problem was that the part number you used to title the thread wasn't very meaningful without looking it up. Next time, try something like "Trying to identify best use of tool holder XD-34-B", a description that gives people reading it an idea of the body of the post.

The site Gros Fromage wants folks to be able to find topics while searching Google or whatever engine as easily as possible, and sometimes he's ruthless about closing threads.

[Also, don't call him "Gros Fromage", he hates that...]

DDoug

Diamond
I’m quite confused by a thread being closed for reason of meaningless thread title. The thread was titled in the likeness of the piece of tooling in question. I don’t understand how that is considered meaningless and I don’t understand what it would take for it to be considered meaningful.
Furthermore there are many threads on this site titled after the model of a tool or machine. I don’t understand how that is significantly different than a thread titled after the model of a specific piece of tooling or machine attachment. Please enlighten me.

For some reason....99.44% of posters here understand how to doo it right.

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - Into The Great Wide Open (Official Music Video) - YouTube

APD

Stainless
Ask yourself:

Before you bought it, did HES DA1-FC-1X1 have any meaning to you?

Your title was just a part number, essentially meaningless to most people except Aloris sales reps and maybe a few machinists who happen to recognize it because they use it alot. And even in the entire post you never mentioned ALORIS.

I have an Aloris tool post, and I cant tell you offhand the part numbers for any of my holders other than BXA or CXA size. I had to google to find out what HES DA1-FC-1X1 was.

Simply putting "help with ALORIS HES DA1-FC-1X1 tool holder" as a title would have probably saved it from being locked.

Scottl

Diamond
The basic rule is that a person should be able to get a good idea of the thread subject without having to actually open it. That is how Don explained it quite some time ago and it makes sense.

Bill D

Diamond
A woodworking site I frequent has no rules about meaningful titles. I often see posts I have a x53g and need help. reading the post no mention of what kind of machine it is. maybe a saw maybe a planer maybe a radio for all I know. Some do mention brand name.
Bill D

JoeE.

Titanium
The basic rule is that a person should be able to get a good idea of the thread subject without having to actually open it. That is how Don explained it quite some time ago and it makes sense.

How'd Don let this one in the "Fabrication: CNC Laser, Waterjet, Plasma, Welding & Fab" forum slip by, then?

myers...jpg

edwin dirnbeck

Hot Rolled
The title must tell what the thread is about. It must be of interest to machinists.My thread,was titled Steel rust and corrosion,does the "steel industry" even care? WAS DELETED, Obviously ,machinists dont care about rust or the steel industry. Edwin Dirnbeck

welderboy250

Aluminum
Thanks for the help. I’m still not sure I understand but I’ll try a little harder to color inside the lines. It felt a little like I was getting picked on but that’s not where my question comes from. Rather than take offense I asked a question in search of understanding. My opinion after browsing this forum for a while is that there are many meaningless titles that are left alone. My title had more meaning to me than several rather current titles. Apparently someone found meaning because before the thread was locked the gentleman responded and answered my question quite politely and thoroughly. Thanks y’all.

DDoug

Diamond
My opinion after browsing this forum for a while is that there are many meaningless titles that are left alone. My title had more meaning to me than several rather current titles. Apparently someone found meaning because before the thread was locked the gentleman responded and answered my question quite politely and thoroughly. Thanks y’all.

And this is the basic problem here.
Management needs to completely delete those threads.

"Who cares about my thread getting locked, someone posted an answer before it got locked, so I'm good"

And so it will continue .....

welderboy250

Aluminum
And this is the basic problem here.
Management needs to completely delete those threads.

"Who cares about my thread getting locked, someone posted an answer before it got locked, so I'm good"

And so it will continue .....

I promise I personally will try to do better in the future. Part of what is so confusing to me is the other meaningless title threads I’ve seen were never even locked. It’s just left go completely.

Milland

Diamond
Don't take it personally. Like anything with humans involved, there's some variability in how stuff is done here. There's no professional moderation team, there's a few forums with a designated mod (who has other things to do too), or Don to try to cover the whole site.

Some junky stuff stays up, some spam gets through, we all muddle along doing the best we can...

DDoug

Diamond
I promise I personally will try to do better in the future. Part of what is so confusing to me is the other meaningless title threads I’ve seen were never even locked. It’s just left go completely.

No, you did do your due diligence before posting, by looking around first, many don't.

gbent

Diamond
You are seeking a logical answer to an illogical situation.

Your post title did not ask a question or pose a solution. I answered because both the part number and the poster had meaning, and it was easy for me to connect the two.