What's new
What's new

Please identify lathe year/model

TomH

Plastic
Hi first post here
i have been working on this old lathe I bought. I think it’s from the 20s but not really sure of year or model
any info is greatly appreciated.
Also it is going to need a drive belt, large flat belt with cogs on the inside. Pulley on motor has matching cogs. Need to find a belt.
Thank you , Tom

Need photos of course. Here is one of the how-to threads

John Oder probably knows this one right off.
Kind of looks like a model C, if so sometime around 1930.
It would have the very early Monarch Flanged spindle nose. The machine number 1 kind of throws me off a little as that is generally where the model was stamped.
You can contact Monarch directly with the lot number, they still as far as I know keep all the original records. Vintage machinery is also a great source of Monarch information.

Thanks for the reply’s
The drive belt is a wide rubber belt , the pulley on the motor has cogs but the pulley up on the head is a wide smooth pulley with no cogs. A chain won’t work.
Thanks, Tom

it still using a lot number so it was built before 1927 when serial numbers were introduced. It has cone clutch apron so this puts it after 1924. It looks like a early Timken headstock. Depending on swing, it could be an AA or BB. The spindle looks like it threaded. Interesting machine that bridges the cone head to the gear head lathes Monarch made. Monarch Lathes has records and might be able give a better ID of this lathe.

Not the flanged spindle which is a sizeable disc. Old print that combines old proprietary flanged nose and the later D type on a single spindle dwg

My CM 22 had the flanged spindle

Lathe has the lift off covers over the spindle bearings so may be the plain (Babbitt , Bronze, etc) bearings

Attachments

• Front of Spindle CM.jpg
    Front of Spindle CM.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
It has plain bearings, not roller and threaded spindle.
More important than anything right now is I can’t keep the belt on it. If I start it in forward the belt jams up against the headstock, if I start it in reverse the belt fly’s off the left side of the pulley. Every time it comes off the lower pulley tears it up a little more. It has essentially ruined the belt.The pulleys are dead on square and parallel. I even moved the motor one inch over and remounted it because it wasn’t perfect, with no improvement. I’m not sure where to go from here . Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Tom

Not the flanged spindle which is a sizeable disc. Old print that combines old proprietary flanged nose and the later D type on a single spindle dwg

Lathe has the lift off covers over the spindle bearings so may be the plain (Babbitt , Bronze, etc) bearings
We have a Monarch CCB with the Flanged spindle.

Good eye, John. I didn't noticed the plain bearings.

More I look at it I wonder if it has helical gears or spur gears. It be good to get picture with the headstock cover removed. This is indeed a very interesting lathe. I am noticing a few usual (to me knobs) and the shifting handles seem larger than a normal hexical geared headstock.

Monarch early helical gear headstock was 8 speed and they standardized on the 16 speed.

John

Back