What's new
What's new

Point angle of reamers ground between centers.

Zeuserdoo

Aluminum
So I'm programming a part that need's to be reamed to size. (Ø.201) The solid carbide reamer that I am going to use is 3" OAL, and is ground between (reverse)centers. (There is a point on each end where the reamer is held.) In order to compensate for the length past the pointed tip, I need to know the angle of the tip. I could just measure it once it gets here, but I'd like to know the length of the tip without needing to do that. It doesn't look like a 60° angle to me, but I could be wrong.

Pointed End Reamer.png

Is there a standard angle for grinding tools with this method?

Zeuserdoo, I wouldn't make any assumptions about the center angle. It may be 90 included, 60 included, or something else. It may be equal to the lead cutting angle (flute chamfer) or it might be larger included angle than the lead cutting angle. If you buy more than 1 of the same make and model, it would be safer to assume they have the same angles.
So I would either 1) wait until the reamer arrives to finish your programs or 2) tell your toolroom to grind the center angle down when the reamer arrives so it does not exceed some "stickout" that you get to specify. In the latter case, you can plan ahead and lock down your programs at the cost of 3 minutes processing the reamers when they arrive and the inability to have them resharpened using the original centers.

I was just wondering if there was a common angle, but it sounds like there isn't.

Thanks for the info. -Z

That tool looks like a 45* and it could be sharpened on a 45 or a 60* female center ok, you want the tool angle to intersect the holder at the bigger place on the female machine center..too pointy on the tool and it will hit at the point and not be very good.
qt: (is 3" OAL,) Likely you will have to measure it.

Last edited:
Typically male centers are 90 degree. Female centers less than 90 degrees will require a significant clearance hole at the bottom to allow a decent size grinding pin.

Personally, I would dub that male center on the working end back to the start of the cutting flutes.

Typically male centers are 90 degree. Female centers less than 90 degrees will require a significant clearance hole at the bottom to allow a decent size grinding pin.

Personally, I would dub that male center on the working end back to the start of the cutting flutes.
+1 0n that, .......I know only a few of my 50 od year collection still have their points

Back