What's new
What's new

Pole Barn Machine Shop

What a beautiful piece of country. I and many other readers are envious, rest assured. Lovin' the Pacemaker. Great photos too- well lit through the day, what are you going to use for illumination inside?

What is that lathe beside the red Suburban, and is it yours as well?

What a beautiful piece of country. I and many other readers are envious, rest assured. Lovin' the Pacemaker. Great photos too- well lit through the day, what are you going to use for illumination inside?

What is that lathe beside the red Suburban, and is it yours as well?

Yes it is. Havent gotten to yet in this some what chronological narrative though.

It's a 25"x16' Model G L&S. Beast of a lathe, makes the Packemaker look like a toy.

I got it in that surplus machine deal I mentioned briefly above. The shop that had it decided to replace it with a smaller machine.

The shop foreman we were dealing with mentioned it in passing that they were going to scrap this lathe. Naturally I couldn't let that happen, so with about a day's notice Dad and I lined up a trailer with rented truck to save the lathe.

The riggers had orders to either put it on our trailer, or put in in the dumpster.

It's been sitting on that trailer ever since, and I still haven't had a chance to unload it. I think I'll need the P&H crane to do that. The lathe weighs 27,000lbs according to John Oder, and I don't know if the old Hyster has the stones to make that lift.

This was another epic overloaded machine move. Time will tell if it was worth the work....

I stared with LED highbays, they worked ok, but are expensive. I've had some bulbs burn out already, which should not happen this soon, so I've been finishing the lighting with T8 HO's.

Attachments

• 20160311_131015.jpg
    20160311_131015.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 597
  • 20160312_141024.jpg
    20160312_141024.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 565
  • 20160312_143547_zpsqjgu95bc (1).jpg
    20160312_143547_zpsqjgu95bc (1).jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 599
  • 20160312_143446_zpsrp6wpjlt.jpg
    20160312_143446_zpsrp6wpjlt.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 597
Last edited:
After the Pacemaker came into the shop. The next was the HBM and I also moved the Model G closer to the shop.

Didn't have the pickup with me that day, so used the Hyster to lift the tongue of the gooseneck and just went down the road backwards with it.

The HBM was also a surplus machine from the same shop I got the Pacemaker and Model G. It had been sitting outside for who knows how long, and another project that I have no idea if it will ever run.

But I like these European HBM's, built in rotary table, boring and facing head, line boring tail stock, and it also would cut threads if I had the change gearing for it.
aced5f72f03b7ec625eccaa4a50749d7.jpg
9a3ef1757aebe3d331d391d4844b247e.jpg
5ec570af8fdaff0488b965c761d0a54a.jpg
d0de857a852845ea470b1ffd81ce5daf.jpg
98ab114cb26e05e8935057a4e7149cfc.jpg
d52e2b5a11ce67d0a4698f99dd696d2c.jpg

Just curious about the building code there in Texas. I thought you get tornados and hurricanes. What did you have to do to reinforce the two open roofs on both sides of the shed?
Mark

Just curious about the building code there in Texas. I thought you get tornados and hurricanes. What did you have to do to reinforce the two open roofs on both sides of the shed?
Mark

Since I'm out in the country, I kinda can do my own thing. The permit process was only concerned that I was not in the floodzone, and if the building had a septic system. Since none of that applied to me, they didn't really care.

As far as what to do for bracing, this is a pole bar and the posts are set in a 24" holes at least 6' down, some of the holes were closer to 10', so thats a lot of concrete and skin friction to overcome to ever have the poles pulles out of the ground.

I was told by the building that this building would stand up to a 140mph winds, but I probably don't believe that.

If we ever get a storm to cause me to worry that the roof would peel off, I'd take some eye bolts, cable and run some temporary bracing from the roof down to the concrete holding the posts down.

That sure looks like some awfully rich soil. Is it just too wet normally to grow corn?

A chum has 2 sets of steam engine wheels that need a HBM just like that one that y'all got there.

I'm just outside the edges of the old Black Swamp, and those fella's over yonder couldn't grow a bad crop if their life depended on it! (And I bet they never picked a rock up in their lives)

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

That sure looks like some awfully rich soil. Is it just too wet normally to grow corn?

A chum has 2 sets of steam engine wheels that need a HBM just like that one that y'all got there.

It's not the best dirt for farming, but it isn't bad. They grow corn, milo and cotton mostly. I have seen some soybeans, and wheat, but it didn't look great. Up north a few hundred miles, in the blackland prarie, they grow more wheat. Much better dirt and a little more temperate than down here by the coast.

I saw your thread about those wheels. Surprised finding someone with an HBM is hard. Wish mine was running, a job like that sound cool.

Skipping lots of little stuff, but you get the idea. Essentially it's just been cycles of clean, move junk, clean, repeat...

Jumping ahead to a couple of weekends ago, finally got the shop doors up.

Welded the frames out of 1-1/4 square tubing, put 8' of siding on the bottom then 8' of clear PVC on top. They look kinda weird, but they are very light, cheap, and use a minimum of material.

Theft isn't too big of a concern, more to keep the weather out than anything. And with the advent of cordless angle grinders, what shop can't be broken into?

Had to recharge a bunch of stuff inside the shop to make room to build the doors. Started to rearrange machinery inside, not sure how I want everything laid out yet, so I'll probably be moving it all again.

And look, Houston gets that weird cold white stuff too.:D Listening to the news, youd have though we got 10', it was more like an inch and burned off by about 11 am.

6067dfc771ec82215e572a273d32c00a.jpg
416ce8360f8cd34fabdfc0dd4fbb0bb2.jpg
f4dea0ca5ab0f676b4faf100b10dac81.jpg
53bfd5ac9e4120273d78feb2d7df34ff.jpg
296b697e19d0e9c9b1afad989f166f08.jpg
b4a0e25ab4f0f44d5447e26528cd6eb8.jpg
fcf67a7253bc008cd5ce3516a2c46552.jpg
3c2c8981a4ba8cc6f2f8de0e3ef47d18.jpg
e131fcf3f4e42330333459c2ef4becd1.jpg
2dd49abd736f0280776daa2c190c96ec.jpg
16e9d6dd704dd406acf8b9ed8824f83c.jpg
4d437720916f3bde19d368640c2b52f6.jpg

Stupid question, but does anyone know where the apron oil reservoir fill plug is on a 24" Pacemaker?

Spent some time today cleaning this one up. Nearly all the bed ways are rust free, and carriage is moving, but rather stifly.

It has the push button style oilers on the apron, but for the life of me I couldn't find where your supoosed to add oil to the apron. Was oiling the ways by hand, but think it needs lots of oil run through the apron to get it moving nice and smooth.

It's got a bent clutch rod, but seems to be coming back from the dead nicely. I sized the belt I need for the RPC today, so may have 3-phase power next weekend.

This is what I'm working on;
468f107fbc5b07e8105cd2de912038b8.jpg

That's more snow than we have seen here...

Now that's funny.

That's where logic says it would be, but there is nothing there except for the cartridge bed clamp bolt. It's got to be somewhere. All that's on the right saddle wind are the cap head screws holding the apron up, and the 11/16 square bolt that tightens the bed clamp.

Saw some other useful info in those docs, thanks for posting them.

Cleaning this machine up means basically going over every square inch by hand very slowly, really appreciating how well this thing is made. It's truly a beautiful machine, even in the state its in right now.

Fingers crossed it's got no issues inside the apron or headstock....

Last edited:
Since I'm out in the country, I kinda can do my own thing. The permit process was only concerned that I was not in the floodzone, and if the building had a septic system. Since none of that applied to me, they didn't really care.

As far as what to do for bracing, this is a pole bar and the posts are set in a 24" holes at least 6' down, some of the holes were closer to 10', so thats a lot of concrete and skin friction to overcome to ever have the poles pulles out of the ground.

I was told by the building that this building would stand up to a 140mph winds, but I probably don't believe that.

If we ever get a storm to cause me to worry that the roof would peel off, I'd take some eye bolts, cable and run some temporary bracing from the roof down to the concrete holding the posts down.

Thanks. I guess it is almost impossible ($$$) to build a barn to survive a Cat 5 storm direct hit. Can you still get insuarance for storm damge in that region?
Mark

Damn Matthew, you should have called me. I have over 200 6-bulb T-8 fixtures with bulbs for sale for $25 each that I got from a store remodel. I guess I should have told you! Let me know if you need more. By the way, I picked up a Monarch model 60 13" x 30" at an auction last week for $250. Can't wait to get it home and see what kind of shape it is in. Shop is looking good.

Now that's funny.

That's where logic says it would be, but there is nothing there except for the cartridge bed clamp bolt. It's got to be somewhere. All that's on the right saddle wind are the cap head screws holding the apron up, and the 11/16 square bolt that tightens the bed clamp.
Well... as oil runs downhill, same as water, dunno why they would, but "hydraulically", there's nothing preventing a fill-plug mid-saddle, to the side of or even UNDER the cross-slide, or even at carriage REAR (to-the-wall side..).
I'd first look for a "field repair" that accidentally concealed it by use of a bolt where a more obvious plug shudda been.

Green plastic wall anchors in place of spindle oil plugs came in the door with my second 10EE. Not really a good sign, actually, so i hope you have been better-served!

Thanks. I guess it is almost impossible ($$$) to build a barn to survive a Cat 5 storm direct hit. Can you still get insuarance for storm damge in that region?
Mark

No reason a pole barn won't survive a Cat 5. There are probably millions of other pole barns in the gulf coast of all ages and in all conditions. They dont just blow over after every hurricane.

I have no reason to doubt the shop part of my barn would be fine. Harvey was a Cat 4, but it's wind damage wasn't too bad for our area.

The only way I think a hurricane would effect me would be blow the doors in, possible but I doubt it. And the more likely would be to pull the sheet metal off the lean to's on the side. But the lean to's are framed pretty heavy and the sheet metal is well secured so even for that I'm doubt full.

I'm planning on eventually enclosing the lean to sides, further minimizing any possible effect the wind might have on that part of the roof.

And yes about insurance. I don't know the size of the policy I have, but I have some general insurance covering the farm, farm house, tools, and building.

Damn Matthew, you should have called me. I have over 200 6-bulb T-8 fixtures with bulbs for sale for $25 each that I got from a store remodel. I guess I should have told you! Let me know if you need more. By the way, I picked up a Monarch model 60 13" x 30" at an auction last week for $250. Can't wait to get it home and see what kind of shape it is in. Shop is looking good.

I do need more light, but I'm not sure how I want it to go exactly.

What I REALLY need are some extra indicators, 12" dial calipers and general machinist tools for work. I don't want to start moving all my tools over there, because I need them on the weekends.

So looks like I need to build up some extras of stuff to leave at work.

They got a lot newer iron at that shop. Attaching pictures of some of the stuff that happens there.

You got that other building cleaned out and your stuff all moved in?

Cool iron man...

Thanks

Well... as oil runs downhill, same as water, dunno why they would, but "hydraulically", there's nothing preventing a fill-plug mid-saddle, to the side of or even UNDER the cross-slide, or even at carriage REAR (to-the-wall side..).
I'd first look for a "field repair" that accidentally concealed it by use of a bolt where a more obvious plug shudda been.

Green plastic wall anchors in place of spindle oil plugs came in the door with my second 10EE. Not really a good sign, actually, so i hope you have been better-served!

I took that bolt out, and it's a 3" bolt that goes to the bed clamp. Looked down the hole with a flashlight, because at first I thought it must be the oil fill plug, but that's not what it is.

It's got to be there somewhere.

b91ff502cb99479dc04e394d62e54345.jpg
82ce5b00bf3f56adecb949c92fa19a6e.jpg
79c67ad375d934ca1b0bdd83eb3cdd0d.jpg
9fdbcea1aec4499d57341ef08b67a199.jpg
2eeeebee7d87f352db7b3825cdc3523a.jpg
74ec957c0627a823946cfbd4951808f1.jpg
3e74294f59834fd0ce2627b01db5dfcd.jpg
727d1c73ecbc812fb0944e2ef592edff.jpg

a521b708e0ac5f716acef7bd41ff2af3.jpg

I took that bolt out, and it's a 3" bolt that goes to the bed clamp. Looked down the hole with a flashlight, because at first I thought it must be the oil fill plug, but that's not what it is.

It's got to be there somewhere.

Look also back of handwheels & their hubs, adjacent to levers and such. If there WAS a plug, it was lost, swarf took over the job, then PAINT?

Might have to probe for it with a darning needle... Safer than pressurizing the drained sump with an air-hose, but that, too, can work..

:(

IF.. you have at least located a DRAIN plug, one can always swap-in a petcock, drain, flush, attach a bit of hose, elevate a container, back-fill a reasonable charge-size by gravity, shut the petcock, make chips until a better answer arrives.

...And yes about insurance. I don't know the size of the policy I have, but I have some general insurance covering the farm, farm house, tools, and building. /QUOTE]

Having been through a fire two months ago, I strongly suggest you review your policy with your agent and ensure that your coverage is adequate and accurate. It is surprising how much money can be tied up in little bits and pieces you don't even think about until you no longer have them and need to replace them. It is also really discouraging when you find out that some items you thought were covered by one portion of your policy actually fall under another portion and your insurance settlement ends up lower than expected.

Back