What's new
What's new

Pole Barn Machine Shop

A 3750lb capacity forklift will move a 2CH with vertical head, angeling rotary table, dividing head and tailstock. But will be SUPER pissed off doing it.

812e25f8d05a6f4c712869f2e530eb03.jpg
29f860139589014329cdd3eb02e93776.jpg
d5de5c8c06dacd1f70f4109187eaae7e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I like seeing machinery pass along between PM members. It's good to know that your new machine was treated well and (likely) won't have any hidden problems, and it's good to know when you pass the machine off to someone else, it's going to a good home and not to a rough fab shop or into a cargo container destined for a melting pot on the other side of the planet.

Great pics!! Texas is just a different world. When it comes to machining, they live up to big.

Years ago I got called down to BP during the whole Deepwater Horizon fiasco. In some of the early, multiple parallel contingencies to clamp some of the pipes shut, I visited a few of the shops down there that were making chips on various projects to support that effort. Just the material that they have on hand was a different world. Need 10 feet of three foot diameter bar? "Hold on - yeah it'll be over here by noon. And it should be cut by morning on the vertical boring mill that's half the size of your house"

Really cool to see a place where old manual stuff is still the way to go. Like all your machinery moving pics too.

Friend of mine was willing to help me today.

Moved about 40,000 lbs in the form of two lathes.

And still more iron to move.... need to find a few more sections of pallet racking and a 5hp single phase motor.
5c988bec992ebbc221ddc215fcf10dde.jpg
9be1e82e5ac4b6f6a28f7c7b45378682.jpg
b67916460aeccdb9611e5fe7179d3388.jpg

Nope, no forklift access to the back at all.

Itll be overhead crane/gantry crane to load stuff.

Once I get the shop organized, shoving the crane in is next.

Will probably install small jib cranes in a few spots too.

Bridge crane with trusses @ 16'? Are you going to have a worthwhile hook height?

My shop's bridge crane is a heavily built underslung 5 ton hoist on a 34' top running bridge span. I originally built a wood building with 16' to the trusses only to realize I'd have a 11' hook height. With a spreader I could effectively lift something that was flat about 6 feet off the ground. I wasn't too impressed with my plan. I turned the crane into the building, built it over the top of the wood building and went to 20' under the ceiling for a 15' hook height.

He's loading lathes, so unless you are wanting to lift it OVER sumpthing .....

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

He's loading lathes, so unless you are wanting to lift it OVER sumpthing .....

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

That was my main reason for going with a bridge crane instead of a big forklift. Layout inside the building can be a lot different if you have a crane VS everything being accessible with forks.

Putting a crane up is both educational and a shitload of work. I wanted a to be able to use it if I made the investment.

Maybe OP has a low headroom top running hoist on a top running bridge. I was just asking because I know I skipped right over the detail my HD Shaw Box hoist taking up 3 feet from bottom of beam to hook.

This was going to scrap. So I gave it a home.

But its in Illinois, gonna be a month or two before I save some pennies to have it hauled down here

A little 4' RA drill should be handy.

9020adc575162c78de622d4c7b08361a.jpg

Merry Christmas!

I’m shocked that was going to scrap?! Around here they retain a GOOD value. I snagged a small one for a friend. Typically small ones go for more than the large. I was at an auction I had to bite my tongue when a BIG Cincinnati (6ft?) went for $250. Typically they will still being $2k-$6k depending on size and condition.

Scrap being so high, lots of stuff going.

I should be selling off lots of my iron as scrap, but don't have the heart.

Id like a 6' or 8' drill. But don't wanna move one. This little 9600lb toy won't be earth shattering to move.

Three smaller drills went to scrap before I saved this one.

Working on wiring stuff in, got the 36" Ohio running and made some baby chips on it

It had a part off blade in it. But still left a decent finish.

a3ec85e2e9a777e27bcd2a0e035f1acd.jpg
7ba1249d221ad53136a99db6fa8631f6.jpg

Back