What's new
What's new

Portable Air Conditioning Units for temperature control

That doesn't make sense.

I've never seen a mini split that wasn't precharged. They're dirt simple to install....

I called supply house. That's what they said. I didn't search extensively. I called a pro. Yes, it cost more, but I could continue working while it was being installed (making $). Glad they worked out for you. My guy wanted to install a regular split, so I took his advice. My point was I don't think, in my case, a mini would have saved much money.

Last edited:
My guy, who did my house a while back, put in a regular 3.5 ton split system.
I would be very interested to know how you like it in the summer heat. I think the 3.5 ton is a mistake unless its a 2 stage unit and you can run it only on first stage when necessary. Otherwise too big in my opinion. If the shop is well insulated it will cycle too much and the air will be uncomfortable. The best AC is one that maintains temp but is on all the time.

I just put a 5 ton heat pump in my well insulated new 5600 square foot shop. I do have about 2000 square feet of indoor buildings but still heating and cooling the mezzanine storage above the indoor buildings. And I am concerned that 5 ton is too big. I bought 5 ton for the heating capability. If it were AC only I probably would have gone with 3 or 3.5 ton. Thus far we have seen some 90 degree days and several 80 degree days and without the AC the shop never got over 71 degrees so very well insulated. But not running machines yet.

I do all my own HVAC work. I bought this heat pump off ebay and have a little under $3500 in it without tax.

Actually - did I mix posters? How
Well, after a hot week here in North Texas, decicded to have a real system installed. Getting too old to be screwing around with a window unit through a roll up door and nothing when I'm not there. I looking into mini splits first. Prices have gone up a lot. Only a couple rando brands come precharged, Mr Cool and one other (no thanks). LG, Mitsu, not so much, so you'll still need to hire someone. My guy, who did my house a while back, put in a regular 3.5 ton split system. Just the sheer size of the fan and coils make me really doubt a similar sized mini split could complete. My guy said the mini splits have a different compressor type so they do preform impressively. Just looking at one: 42k LG with heat pump. It's at least as much as I paid my mine. I bet mine has quite a bit more CFM and I can add ducting later if I want. All said and done with install and a cage around the condenser, it was 7k (barf) but these Texas summers are no joke. If we get multiple weeks in the triple digits (it happens), I'm not going to be missing that 7k at all.
Actually I think I mixed up posters. How big is your shop?

Actually - did I mix posters? How

Actually I think I mixed up posters. How big is your shop?
Come visit man! Omg, Texas sun is not your friend. It is trying to kill you. I grew up in southern IN, trust me. 3.5 is not oversized. Shop is not well insulated. SF... wait for it... 900. My 3 ton window unit could keep it under 85, under 90 when i was in 1200 SF. Upper 90s today, it ran maybe 80-90% of the day keeping the place in mid 70s. Next week will be a real test. Short cycling is the least of my worries. If it does you can get thermostatas with adjustable differentials. My guy also offered a 3t option, but i said f it. Not a mistake down here.

Since the car accident I've become completely intolerant of heat, so finding a place with proper climate control has become a severe issue for me. What I've learned is that every single watt you put into a place needs to get added to the heat creep from outside when you are factoring for AC. It all becomes heat in one manner or another. And the inverter heat pumps are the way to go if you can afford the initial investment. I love my LG window unit, but I plan to upgrade to individual room cartridges if I'm ever not dirt poor. Switching to one big inverter unit over multiple smaller window units has been a noticeable decrease in electricity usage for the same cooling, and it's so much more pleasant to be around. I'm rather shocked how many places up here just expect you to ignore the 110 degree heat and swelter with the doors open all summer, and then wonder why no one wants to work for them for less than Taco Bell pay rates lol.

And I'd also like to reinforce, portable single tube portable cooling units are a terrible idea, I've dealt with several of them and they are really only good for emergency usage. They draw in a lot of hot outside replacement air, and don't exhaust their heat efficiently. It's barely better than trying to cool a room by opening the door to your refrigerator. One place I worked at tried to just stick 5 of them in the laser building, it brought the temperature down about 2 degrees.

Come visit man! Omg, Texas sun is not your friend. It is trying to kill you. I grew up in southern IN, trust me. 3.5 is not oversized. Shop is not well insulated. SF... wait for it... 900. My 3 ton window unit could keep it under 85, under 90 when i was in 1200 SF. Upper 90s today, it ran maybe 80-90% of the day keeping the place in mid 70s. Next week will be a real test. Short cycling is the least of my worries. If it does you can get thermostatas with adjustable differentials. My guy also offered a 3t option, but i said f it. Not a mistake down here.
LOL! Yes - if not well insulated in Texas heat 3 1/2 ton could make sense. My old shop was 900 square feet and I had a 2 1/2 ton unit. It worked well. That shop was not nearly as well insulated as my new shop.

Pics of my 5 ton unit I just put in..........

Attachments

• ac2.jpg
    ac2.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 10
  • ac3.jpg
    ac3.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 10
  • ac4.jpg
    ac4.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 10
Mark,
Great job on the 5-ton air conditioner! The only feedback I can offer is that installers generally won't use sharp elbows in the liquid (smaller) line, as it can add a bit of restriction---effecting your overall efficiency.

Most recommend a large sweeping bend (or large elbow) in the liquid line.

I'm fascinated by HVAC and how it all works. I have acquired the tools (vacuum pump, torch, and gage set) for install and maintenance cheap via ebay.

ToolCat

Back