What's new
What's new

Powcon 400SMT foot control wiring.

ces224

Aluminum
I have a Powcon 400SMT that I am trying to hook up a foot pedal for tig welding. The foot pedal is a Powcon with a 14 pin connector and the welder has a 17 pin connector. I found this on an old thread for the 14 pin connector on the foot pedal.

To Control Start / Stop of the output, the wiring is:
Pin 10 jumpered to Pin 14 (Output Inhibit)
Pin 8 switched to Pin 9 (Output Start / Stop--Foot pedal switch)

To Control Output Amperage, the wiring to add is:
Pin 11 jumpered to Pin 14 (Front Panel Output Reference Inhibit)
Pin 12 is output to Foot Pedal Pot (+15VDC)
Pin 13 is Amperage Reference Input (Wiper on the Pot)
Pin 14 is Logic Ground (0 VDC, Third Lead on Foot Pedal Pot

The 17 pin connector has pins

Terminal A: +24 VDC out, 100 ma maximum from the control board. Used to power remote control devices.

Terminal B: Control board common; used with remote control devices.

Terminal C: Weld level output; 0-4ma, current loop transmitter.

Terminal D: Weld level input; 0-4 ma, current loop transmitter.

Terminal E: Contactor input; will energize the welding power source when a dry contact closes at B.

Terminal F: Error amplifier enable; active low signal for use with remote V/I control devices.

Terminal G: Chassis common; safety ground.

Terminal H: 115VAC, with respect to pin J protected by 5A circuit breaker on the front panel.

Terminal J: 30 VAC and 115VAC return.

Terminal K: Arc force inhibit; an active low signal will disable the arc force control on the front panel. Used with remote control devices.

Terminal L: Spare

Terminal M: Slope #2; active low signal used with remote devices.

Terminal N: Amperage output signal; 0-4mA current loop transmitter.

Terminal P: Voltage output signal; 0-4mA current loop transmitter.

Terminal R: Blank/Accel commands; logic level signals used with remote control devices.

Terminal S: 30VAC, with respect to pin J. Protected by 10 amp circuit breaker on the front panel.

Terminal T: "B" sync output; an active low signal for use with remote voltage/current control devices.

I think that I need to hook up 8 and 9 to E and B to turn the welder contactor on and off.

I am not sure were to hook up the wires for the pot. My thought is pin 12 foot pedal +15 to pin C weld level output, pin 13 amperage reference input - pot wiper to pin D weld level input, and pin 14 logic ground to terminal B control board common. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Chad.

smithboy

Plastic
Did you ever get the pedal to work? I'm trying to do the same thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ces224

Aluminum
Yes I got it to work. pin 12 foot pedal +15 to pin C weld level output, pin 13 amperage refernece input - pot wiper to pin D weld level input, and pin 14 logic ground to terminal B control board common worked. I did have to change the pot to a 10K pot. I wired up the switch on the foot pedal to pin 8 and 9 to control the contacts.