What's new
What's new

Pratt & Whitney 16x36 lathe value

cariboumatt

Plastic
Good morning folks. I have an old B model 16x36 lathe, serial 595. It works really good as far I can tell but I'm no machinist. I've turned some very basic things on it just playing with it. The problem is it has a wobble to it when it spins. Is this a simple fix? We've also considered selling it but I don't know the first thing about lathes so I'm lost on the value of it. Anybody have any guidance on these issues? Thanks!
IMG-1311.jpgIMG-1310.jpgIMG-1309.jpgIMG-1308.jpgIMG-1307.jpgIMG-1305.jpg

Wobble? We need more information. Could be bad chuck jaws, bad chuck, or spindle issues.

I'd base 90% of it's value on completeness, bed wear, how many lathes are for sale near you, spindle top speed, and any known mechanical issues. Could be a $5000 lathe in the right machine desert, or could be scrap metal (unlikely). Location is a big factor. Your profile says Idaho, and I assume there's not a lot up there unless you go west into Washington?

You have a plain bearing model B denoted by the oilers on the headstock. No way 5K anywhere, more like 1 to 2K in that condition. I have several old lathes and in Arizona, never paid more than 2K. Better to figure out the wobble as it might be the plain headstock bearings which will have a major effect on value.

Attachments

• PW 20 B HS.jpg
    PW 20 B HS.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Seems like the cross-feed really protrudes from the front of the machine. Is that part of a quick-withdraw mechanism, or something else?
Man, that thing is beautiful. I'd never sell it :)

Seems like the cross-feed really protrudes from the front of the machine. Is that part of a quick-withdraw mechanism, or something else?
Man, that thing is beautiful. I'd never sell it :)
The big P&W lathes have a double set of cross-slide ways. Top set is the normal cross-slide driven by the feed screw. Underneath set used for taper turning, it has a hole at the back to connect it to the taper turning attachment shoe. For normal turning the under-slide is locked to the saddle at whatever position is convenient. Usually placed where the upper slide and compound toolpost are in a position looking so similar to an ordinary lathe that folk not in the know don't realise the under-slide is there. That one has been pulled out way further than normal.

There is quick withdraw mechanism with, if I recall correctly, 1/2" or so of movement. The stops and lock bolt are in the lump immediately behind the cross-slide dial.

Clive

Back