What's new
What's new

Pratt & Whitney model 3C lathe - Wisconsin

SteveM

Diamond
Note - this lathe is NOT mine, so do not ask me for more information or to buy it from me.

I just know that we have a bunch of people here with the matching milling machine who might be interested, particularly since they already have the 4PN collets to go with it.

There is a Pratt & Whitney model 3C lathe out here in Wisconsin for $299 with the original bench and speedranger variable speed motor / transmission.

I would buy it myself, but as the Frenchman said in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", "I already gots one".

Has surface rust and needs a slide rest. Also no collets or chuck.

It's on facebook marketplace in Mazomanie, WI, which is west of Madison.

Here's the link:
Facebook

Steve

Attachments

• pw02.jpg
    pw02.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 213
  • pw01.jpg
    pw01.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 147
  • pw03.jpg
    pw03.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 140

SteveM

Diamond
They are occasionally available on ebay, and you can put a different brand on it.

You'd still be in pretty reasonable after getting one.

Steve

Froneck

Titanium
Model C?? I have a Model C (newer square head version) That lathe in the photo is not a Model C as far as I know the C is a gear drive engine lathe.

SteveM

Diamond
I don't know if it would turn at woodturning speeds. It would/might be worth the effort to build a saddle/cross slide if near free. Not having and threading function is a big drawback.

Not sure if the mill and lathe have the same speeds, but they do have the same drive unit. The spindle speeds on the mill are 125-375 in low and 250-2250 in high.

The motor unit is a 3-phase, two-speed motor connected to a speedranger variable speed unit.

It would be trivial to put a wood lathe tool rest on it.

I have one of these I am restoring. I consider it a supplement to my regular lathe, sort of like having a DV-59 in addition to an engine lathe.

Also thought it would be cool to have the matching lathe and mill on the same bench.

Steve

Greg Menke

Diamond
I have one of these I am restoring. I consider it a supplement to my regular lathe, sort of like having a DV-59 in addition to an engine lathe.

Also thought it would be cool to have the matching lathe and mill on the same bench.

Steve

Sort of a DIY Dalton combo machine, but fancier :) That said I have a smaller Wade turret lathe that I once mounted on a milling machine table to act as a collet closer/indexer.

jim rozen

Diamond

It is possible to put a small turret on a lathe that size.

Attachments

• DSCN0064.jpg
    DSCN0064.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 22

jim rozen

Diamond
Is that a Hardinge turret?

Does it fit on the bed without modification, or did you need to mod it or make a new base?

Steve

It's actually a schaublin 70 turret - I had to make a specialized riser to adapt it.

Attachments

• DSCN0073.jpg
    DSCN0073.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN0062.jpg
    DSCN0062.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 15