What's new
What's new

Pre NGC Haas TL-2 G54 position annoyance

russmill

Plastic
I have a 2012 TL-2 which has been a fantastic lathe for my purpose, but one thing has always bothered the hell out of me and I wonder if other Haas lathes of different eras behave the same.

When running a program, the G54 position is correctly showing the tool-tip diameter and Z position relative to workpiece. However in handle or MDI modes the G54 position matches machine position, even with the correct tool offset called up (in MDI).

Is this the same for all Haas lathes? I have to basically re-teach any given tool to the user origin position if wanting to do quick and dirty deeds if not running from memory. I have combed through parameter pages a couple dozen times whenever I get optimistic that there is a setting to change this behavior. It would be easy to write a macro with the system variables in MDI but I didn't buy the option and haven't needed it for anything else.

Every other lathe I have run from Mori/Mazak mill-turns to prototrak and tormach have the right G54 position as long as the tool offset is called up.

Last night I gave up for the last time, but thought to run it by practically machinist. . .

You've done nothing wrong. Pre NGC controls only show machine position, without the tool length or the work offset calculated in (mill or lathe). That's the bad.

The good is: you should have made friends with your Operator Position coordinates (your personal DRO).

On your lathe, you can MDI
G90 G54;
T1;
G00 X0 Z0.
The tool is now at 0,0

Then you can press the Posit key to see the position displays, page down to get to the Operator coordinates.
Type X0 (zero) and press Origin
Type Z0 and press Origin

Now your operator coordinates match your tool and offset coordinates. If you can't command to the origin for whatever reason, you can still preset any location. If you can get to X0 Z2.0, when you preset Z, type Z2.0 and press Origin. Done.

I use operator coordinates constantly.

You've done nothing wrong. Pre NGC controls only show machine position, without the tool length or the work offset calculated in (mill or lathe). That's the bad.

The good is: you should have made friends with your Operator Position coordinates (your personal DRO).

On your lathe, you can MDI
G90 G54;
T1;
G00 X0 Z0.
The tool is now at 0,0

Then you can press the Posit key to see the position displays, page down to get to the Operator coordinates.
Type X0 (zero) and press Origin
Type Z0 and press Origin

Now your operator coordinates match your tool and offset coordinates. If you can't command to the origin for whatever reason, you can still preset any location. If you can get to X0 Z2.0, when you preset Z, type Z2.0 and press Origin. Done.

I use operator coordinates constantly.
That's essentially my workaround, but it's usually more like X4. Z1., then preset the origin. Thanks for the reply, makes me stop wondering if it's the software version

This has been bothering my for some time but I never looked into it... good to know

Back