What's new
What's new

Precision Measuring Tool- 4 Jaw Universal Chuck

bckasper3

Plastic
Hello All! First post and an Engineer so go easy on me.

I work in the canning industry and we typically use thin metal plates with very shallow holes with chamfered edged to hold cans while they are being seamed.(see attatched) The diameters of these plates are critical but are pretty difficult to measure. Any tips on how to get a repeatable diameter measurement? CAN SUPPORT PLATE 3D.jpgCAN SUPPORT PLATE DRAWING.jpg

I was thinking that opening a 4 jaw universal chuck with square nosed jaws might allow me to get a measurement. Especially if they had a step in them like I show in this image. square nosed chuck jaw.jpgI would prefer to use hardened jaws to get more accurate measurements but I don't suppose there is a good way to add a step to hardened jaws. So I might have to just turn down some soft jaws.

Do you think this would work? Any recommendations on how to better measure this diameter? Any recommendations on chucks with low backlash? Any recommendations for square nosed soft jaws?

Thanks! :)
Ben

Cheep way, calipers and I have had to do just your type of part with an angle on the inside. Radius on the tool bit makes it a judgement call. Sometimes all I could do is trial cut and test fit and note the dial numbers so I could repeat.

Expensive way is a cmm.

In between, would be to make a dedicated measuring fixture with a fixed edge and a test indicator, you would also need a set up fixture.

Dave

I think a 3 legged micrometer (aka "intrimike") might do this job, with a bit of modification. The measuring points on the ones I have do not project past the end cap, so the end cap would have to be thinned somewhat (maybe .030") to permit this possibility. But if there is clearance on the part for the end cap, then you'd be set.

Back