What's new
What's new

Pressing in a Blanchard 11 upper spindle bearing

Nick227

Plastic
Hi All!

I'm replacing the top spindle bearing on a blanchard no. 11.

My original idea was to use the lifting point with a thread rod and plate to press it in, But I cant seem to find the right thread to fit in that lift point.

Does anyone have any recommendations to press that in? Or the size of thread at the top of the spindle?

Thank you!

Garwood

Diamond
Blanchard is UK made right? If not inch nor metric could it be Whitworth? Does the threadform look a bit different?

I had a 20" swing 1920's German lathe that was made with all Whitworth threads.

chip_maker

Stainless
Blanchard is UK made right? If not inch nor metric could it be Whitworth? Does the threadform look a bit different?

I had a 20" swing 1920's German lathe that was made with all Whitworth threads.
Blanchard is an American company and whatever is left of them is still here as far as I know.

Rotary Science

Plastic
They were apparently different throughout the years, but I just did spindle bearings on my 11-20. The upper bearing was a breeze but I was changing both upper and lower, so I dropped the lower out of it's race and the upper came right off when the shaft moved down. This was all done in situ, I didn't remove the head (might have been the easier way to get the lower race out now that I went through all of that and learned.)

On mine the upper bearing is slightly mobile and the tensioning mechanism sets the location. If you don't have a schematic I can post mine here.

Rotary Science

Plastic
They were apparently different throughout the years, but I just did spindle bearings on my 11-20. The upper bearing was a breeze but I was changing both upper and lower, so I dropped the lower out of it's race and the upper came right off when the shaft moved down. This was all done in situ, I didn't remove the head (might have been the easier way to get the lower race out now that I went through all of that and learned.)

On mine the upper bearing is slightly mobile and the tensioning mechanism sets the location. If you don't have a schematic I can post mine here.
Mine went back together with no pressing required if I remember properly. It was a tight slip fit. I did have some issues at first but it was just alignment.

cash

Titanium
Maybe they had machines built in the UK? But the company was founded & based in the US. Founded in Cambridge Mass. and then at some point moved to Windsor Vermont.

Blanchard had a joint venture with a company in the UK, I believe the castings would be done in the USA, then shipped over for UK/Europe electrics. you can always tell these because there will be a crown on the blanchard logo.

eKretz

Diamond; Mod Squad
Lots of U.S. companies built overseas as well. Giddings & Lewis built horizontal boring mills in Scotland for instance (The ones I've seen say Fraser G&L). These are huge machines, better to build on site and not have to ship a large finished precision piece of equipment.

john.k

Diamond
The reason for a UK branch was to avoid import taxes on machines shipped anywhere in the Commonwealth.....such as to India,Canada,Oz ,NZ etc.....with the added bonus of cheap labour in the UK......of course UK was once a major customer for machinery,in its own right.

MCritchley

Hot Rolled
Lots of U.S. companies built overseas as well. Giddings & Lewis built horizontal boring mills in Scotland for instance (The ones I've seen say Fraser G&L). These are huge machines, better to build on site and not have to ship a large finished precision piece of equipment.
My grandpa spent quite a bit of time in the UK sorting those machines out. He was a Fond du Lac based erector for G&L. There was a story of him arriving to a dirt floor where a thick slab was supposed to be for an install.