What's new
What's new

Pricing a Job

TeCNC

Plastic
Hi all,

I have been Desinging and manufacturing injection molding tools for a while now for a company ( in house Injection mold tools ) so all tools are made for the company,

I am looking at buying a VMC and doing my own for other companys.

I have a client thats wants my service of Design and manufacture but I do not have a clue on how to price it,

Are there any tool makers on here that could give me a rough pricing guide to at least get me started?

For the purpose of this Lets say the steel for the mold comes in at £4000

I wouldnt know how long it will take to machine until i have completely designed which is time spent etc,

Looking forward to your reply's

Kindest Regards Tom

Hi all,

I have been Desinging and manufacturing injection molding tools for a while now for a company ( in house Injection mold tools ) so all tools are made for the company,

I have a client thats wants my service of Design and manufacture but I do not have a clue on how to price it,

Are there any tool makers on here that could give me a rough pricing guide to at least get me started?

I wouldnt know how long it will take to machine until i have completely designed which is time spent etc,

Kindest Regards Tom
Set the price high enough that you JUST START to feel bad. Good rule of thumb.

Sent using Morse code on - .- .--. .- - .- .-.. -.-

That is part of the skill of estimating. If you have machined enough parts you should be able to form a pretty quick ballpark idea of how long it will take to machine something. If you're new to the trade and/or to estimating it might take you a while to figure out. There are some softwares available that are supposed to take a crack at this but I don't know how good they are. I've always done estimating by making a quick outline of the procedures I'd use to make a part and then estimating (imagine that, eh? :D ) how long each setup and operation will take. Then adding the cost of material. If it's a very simple job I might do all of the estimating with an educated guess in my head. If it's a complicated one I might spend an hour or more thinking it over and "sketching out" my procedural outline. If it's a very complicated job I might throw a certain percentage on top of my calculated figures just to be on the safe side and account for any difficulties that may arise.

Not knowing standard practices in the UK, My first thought is you need a proper contract describing the work and responsibilities of the parties. At your current job if the work scraps you still get paid while your employer eats the loss. When you’re the boss, you eat it and maybe don’t get paid.

I like the idea of a time and material method of pricing. Likely fair all around.

Another thing is to consider whether you will be tied to this one customer. If they are your only source for work you will essentially be an employee but without the usual rights of an employee.

Think it through and good luck!

I look at something and think how many days do I think it would take to make the tool. Then multiply by how much per day you need to operate your business. It seems easier for me to grasp the time
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi all,

Kindest Regards Tom

How have you been designing molds now, without knowing about what it will cost ?
You should know your company's internal tool room's cost, and have an idea w
how long it will take to machine, assemble & troubleshoot.

Back