What's new
What's new

Probably the most unusual mystery tool from 1700s! What is it for?

Someone said it's from the 1700s, doesn't mean it is. The provenance goes back about 70 years at this point. 70 is well shy of 222.

And what are those features?

Pictures of said features/forging/elements or documentation, please.

This tool is from the 1700s. It was confirmed by a family member and a museum it was taken to for identification. The decorative features could be seen on the stopper, the base, and the clamps.

This has me questioning my guess as a drawing instrument; And the way the side arms could be moved to form really tight (impossible) bends in whatever strip joined reference points.

Can you post photos of with the arms positioned at their extremes of travel (i.e centre out and side arms in and wide ) ?

Yes Bill! I will do that. Just have to come back home to get the tool. I will post new photographs soon.

This has me questioning my guess as a drawing instrument; And the way the side arms could be moved to form really tight (impossible) bends in whatever strip joined reference points.

Can you post photos of with the arms positioned at their extremes of travel (i.e centre out and side arms in and wide ) ?

Ok Bill.

The arms are extended to the maximum. It appears that the middle arm extends the most for the maximum of 5". I've placed a strip of paper to each slot. This way it will be possible to see the curves. I did not extend the arms widthwise because they will just go until the end of the base. I've also realized that the center arm has a clamp or a grabber that extends also. That means whatever was placed inside the slot was varying in thickness. It might be something quite thick comparing to a piece of paper. Attaching some photos.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

This tool is from the 1700s. It was confirmed by a family member and a museum it was taken to for identification. The decorative features could be seen on the stopper, the base, and the clamps.

Until you know exactly what it is, its just a neat old gizmo, possibly from as far back as 1700's. How could a museum date it without knowing what it is? I agree, you have 70 years of provenance, nothing more.

Until you know exactly what it is, its just a neat old gizmo, possibly from as far back as 1700's. How could a museum date it without knowing what it is? I agree, you have 70 years of provenance, nothing more.

I do not know exactly how the museum determined the age. They must have tools with similar features or they referred to the engravings. The tool is obviously older than 70 years, so no need to write anything more. Especially when I clearly stated that the tool is from the 1700s. If I would not know that, I would not write its age. We are not discussing the age of the tool. The age is known. We are trying to figure out the purpose of this tool.

A dendro date of the wooden base would probably give you a reasonable date for a lower bracket (the wood would always be older than the tool, but a good starting point) .

To my, admittedly, inexpert eye, the style and ageing of the iron work certainly looks right for 1700's (frankly , it could be older) .

It seems unlikely someone would have put in an enormous amount of work to deliberately forge (falsify) an old tool, just to confound a few people on a future engineering forum !

Romak,

In the background of one of the earlier pictures there is the sound board (?) or a violin or viola , does your family (or the tool owners family) have a musical background ?

My thinking here is that the tool could be a 'helping-hands' for glue-up of a musical instrument

My guess IS

A tool for replication of the shapes and patterns associated with the production of stained glass lights.

(or marquetry)

Bending came or similar. \\A guess, for the 1700s....

If you don't even know what it is, you damn well don't know its age. That's all just your imagination. You probably kow it's 70 years old, period. The rest is hot air and speculation.

Emanuel, you do not need to know the purpose of the tool to determine its age. Museums have their own practices of doing so and it is not based strictly on the use of the tool. There are many hints that point to its age. Again, we're not discussing age. We already know it. We are working on the purpose of this interesting tool from the 1700s. If you would like to contribute, you are welcome to suggest its possible purpose.

A dendro date of the wooden base would probably give you a reasonable date for a lower bracket (the wood would always be older than the tool, but a good starting point) .

To my, admittedly, inexpert eye, the style and ageing of the iron work certainly looks right for 1700's (frankly , it could be older) .

It seems unlikely someone would have put in an enormous amount of work to deliberately forge (falsify) an old tool, just to confound a few people on a future engineering forum !

Are absolutely correct Bill! The tool could be even earlier than the 1700s. And, nobody would place that amount of effort to forge a tool. I am glad you noticed many details that can point to its age and especially its purpose!

My guess IS

A tool for replication of the shapes and patterns associated with the production of stained glass lights.

(or marquetry)

Bending came or similar. \\A guess, for the 1700s....

That is an interesting guess! Thank you! I believe the keyword here is "replication". It makes sense! First, you set the size, then place material inside the slots, then you can trace the shape to make copies. I never thought about that.

Romak,

In the background of one of the earlier pictures there is the sound board (?) or a violin or viola , does your family (or the tool owners family) have a musical background ?

My thinking here is that the tool could be a 'helping-hands' for glue-up of a musical instrument

I like your guess! I do not have any musical background in the family, but the previous owner had an idea that it could be a tool for making violins. I would guess he meant for bending thin pieces of wood used in the violin's body. That could be it. but then, violins had patterns already cut in the shape of silhouettes. Still, a great guess!

I do not know exactly how the museum determined the age. They must have tools with similar features or they referred to the engravings. The tool is obviously older than 70 years, so no need to write anything more. Especially when I clearly stated that the tool is from the 1700s. If I would not know that, I would not write its age. We are not discussing the age of the tool. The age is known. We are trying to figure out the purpose of this tool.

Does it have an engraving stating "Made in 1776" on it? Blacksmithing is a lost art, but we still have blacksmiths today. I think you are putting blinders on yourself in insisting its from the 1700's. My guess is its something from the textile or weaving industry, by changing settings it changed the pattern, who knows, you might find plans for it in a 1960 copy of Mother Earth news, it was the latest thing in Macrame.

If it is from the 1700's its pretty amazing craftmanship

Agree. It is crafted very nicely, but if you look at the laboratory tools from the 1700s, they feature even more fine details than this tool. This example made quire roughly comparing to some science piece from that era made of brass.

Back