What's new
What's new

Project HBM-3" Forges de Gilley

Lots more cleaning to do here. But looks better minus a few gallons of crud and chips.

Thinking to make sure all the lube lines are working properly before removed the saddle from the bed. Kinda in the best position to work on it.

e5a5ce1e78fa1809670fbb9835753b40.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Good Morning,
I live in France and have the same machine in the workshop.
Congratulations on the renovations. Mine works well. Here are some works done with it.

Attachments

• 20230102_100829.jpg
    20230102_100829.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210310_113535.jpg
    20210310_113535.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220603_102714.jpg
    20220603_102714.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220726_154947.jpg
    20220726_154947.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 57
Good Morning,
I live in France and have the same machine in the workshop.
Congratulations on the renovations. Mine works well. Here are some works done with it.

What's going on with the live center in the tailstock bore?

I have never seen that before either... . I never tried.
I see you are from Manchester, I have also in my workshop a smal HBM Kearns S Type who was made in Manchester....
Regards.

What's going on with the live center in the tailstock bore?
I'll show my ignorance here - but it seems quite a clever idea if you needed to knock up a boring bar for a light machining job? Saves making sleeves or bushes, specially if the bar is small diameter.

Reason it makes some sense to me is because I have done line boring on a lathe with a long boring bar between centres.

I'll show my ignorance here - but it seems quite a clever idea if you needed to knock up a boring bar for a light machining job? Saves making sleeves or bushes, specially if the bar is small diameter.

Reason it makes some sense to me is because I have done line boring on a lathe with a long boring bar between centres.

I spose so. Thing is though, what's a small bar to you? 1"? Think about that now. How far can you hang the quill out on that little guy? 24" maybe? Now how wide is the table? Now add the length of the bore(s). So now you got a 1" bar 3-5 feet long supported by a live center and tensioned by the quill? And you're going to cut what with this?

HBM work seems like it often hinges on absolute max rigidity of everything involved. Making tooling is very commonplace for HBM work. Because HBM setups can easily take hours it's not a big deal to spend 10 minutes making a proper bushing.

Ive spent all day making a tool and setting up for 30 minutes of machining.

It is a good idea just as long as the line boring bar is stout enough and you’re only taking light cuts.

Regards Tyrone.

I spose so. Thing is though, what's a small bar to you? 1"? Think about that now. How far can you hang the quill out on that little guy? 24" maybe? Now how wide is the table? Now add the length of the bore(s). So now you got a 1" bar 3-5 feet long supported by a live center and tensioned by the quill? And you're going to cut what with this?

HBM work seems like it often hinges on absolute max rigidity of everything involved. Making tooling is very commonplace for HBM work. Because HBM setups can easily take hours it's not a big deal to spend 10 minutes making a proper bushing.

Ive spent all day making a tool and setting up for 30 minutes of machining.
Good points. In particular, I was overlooking the size of the HBM table.

I’ve never seen that done before. The bar normally ran in a sleeve or bush in the outer support.

Regards Tyrone.
My grand dad had a Union HBM that came brand new with a center for the tailstock, and a faceplate with the slide like what you'd normally see on the head so you could support a long bar offset on the headstock facing slide.

Rarely used them, but we did use the center to turn some large diameter but relatively light parts (hollow mixers/impellers) between centers that we just didnt have a lathe with enough swing for.

Back