What's new
What's new

Pros and Cons of using a cast Production Table as a welding table

M.B. Naegle

Titanium
My only input is that if anyone runs across an old cast iron inspection table that hasn't had a million holes drilled into it, please don't start cutting it up for a welding table. Sell it to an idiot like me who would want to resurface it for assembly or inspection (if you have the option). You gotta work with what you have, but it seems like there are plenty of old salvaged machine tables and the like floating around.

FeelerHaasEnco

Plastic
Having used a few different tables I would have to agree that an old cast table that is ground and a grid/slots put in is the way to go. You cant get the certi-flat tables at a reasonable price anymore, and the price of a cast table (or really any heavy table/plate) from an auction is a much better route to go. Loved our certi-flat table for the automotive stuff we did, but I almost strictly TIG'ed on it and would cover the table as much as possible doing MIG as it would stick if I wasn't careful.

IMG_0846

Scruffy887

Titanium
Old T slot milling machine tables are what I use and plenty are available. I have 2)30" x 85" 1800 pounds and 1) 25" x 75" 1100 pounds. I selected them because they also have all 4 sides machined.

Garwood

Diamond
Another option is to just buy the entire HBM. I know the Kuraki I own was built to hold a couple tenths over it's entire travels range, it may seem like sacrilege, but I regularly bore the ends of very large hydraulic cylinders, MIG weld them up in-situ and re-bore them to size. It has way covers and it really doesn't seem to care. On mine I can run the table way out from the spindle in 30 seconds with rapids and my welding area is right across the aisle from the HBM, works pretty slick.

Needing a big fab table seems like a great reason to add an HBM anyway. I actually paid about the same for my large 15 foot fab table as I did for my entire HBM. Moving 42,000 was a bit more involved than 4200 though.