What's new
What's new

Purchased a Deckel FP3 with a dual voltage 220 / 380 motor

majohnson

Cast Iron
My mill has a Siemens 220 / 380 volt 12.31 / 7.1 amps. The motor is wired in the WYE is what Peter at Veltman tells me. Removing the motor cover the lower connectors have 3 wires and a ground, the top connections just have brass bars.

Contacted the folks at Drives Warehouse and they tell I cannot run it off a VFD. Then contacted American Rotary since I have one of their units to run my lathe and surface grinder. They quoted $4600 for a RPC, along a custom transformer for the WYE to Delta conversion. Spent a day and half trying to contact Siemens, with no luck

Currently my RPC is 220 3phase 3 hp. It on a 220 v single phase.

Attachments

• IMG_6588.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6589.jpeg
    IMG_6589.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Bog standard Euro motor. Someone is drunk if they think that can't be run on a VFD. Move the links into delta and tell the VFD it's a 3kW, 50Hz, 12.3A, 220V motor, because that's what it is.

For other supplies, the issue is that's a 50Hz 220/380V motor. If you run it in delta on 220V 60Hz, it's 20% overspeed and 20% under-torque. You might get a bit of leeway because 220V != 240V.

You can also put it in wye and supply it with 60Hz 480V for full torque, 20% extra speed, 20% extra power - but you need 480V.

Looking at the Hitachi Inverters which is what on my BP, anyone have another brand that is user friendly?

Anyone familiar with these series of Siemens motors, I read something that mentioned a closed circuit transition. The motor starts on WYE then automatically switched to Delta. Problem is I read so much, I don’t remember the site.

Thank all,
Mark

Last edited:
There is nothing special about the motor. An equivalent motor is available from a dozen different European and other manufacturers.

You appear to be talking about star-delta starting. It would not be used when fed from a VFD. It could be an option if you have limited kVA available for starting the motor from an RPC, but I wouldn't really recommend it.

You can also put it in wye and supply it with 60Hz 480V for full torque, 20% extra speed, 20% extra power - but you need 480V.
Doing that would be over volting at least 20% from the tag value. That's more than the usual 10% tolerance. Don't you think there would be a risk of overheating?

Looking at the Hitachi Inverters which is what on my BP, anyone have another brand that is user friendly?

Anyone familiar with these series of Siemens motors, I read something that mentioned a closed circuit transition. The motor starts on WYE then automatically switched to Delta. Problem is I read so much, I don’t remember the site.

Thank all,
Mark
I have a Siemens motor, slightly less beefy at 2.2kW. Nothing unusual about it like others pointed out. Same wiring, I run it in delta (low voltage) configuration from a Chinese VFD and 240VAC single phase supply.

Attachments

• images.png
    images.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 3
Thank You for the info. Ended up going with RPC, it will allow me to keep everyone plugged in and run one machine along with running another to warm up.

Doing that would be over volting at least 20% from the tag value. That's more than the usual 10% tolerance. Don't you think there would be a risk of overheating?
Normally, yes, it would be an issue.

However, we're also increasing the frequency by 20%, which means the magnetising current stays the same because the V/f ratio is the same.

Many VFD/motor manufacturers have official guides to take a standard 230V-delta 400V-star 50Hz motor, connect it as 230V delta, feed it 400V from a VFD (57% overvoltage) and run it at up to 87Hz (57% overspeed). You get a 57% bigger motor basically for free.

Back