What's new
What's new

Purchasing a new to me pre 1912 K&T 1 B Universal

Earl_Leonard

Plastic
Next week I am to take delivery of a pre 1912 K&T 1B universal that has had a Dc motor with variable speed vertical head added to it. I have covered vintagemachinery's database and I am looking for more information on my machine. I call it a pre 1912 because it has a single overarm support. from K&T history I learned that in 1912 K&T came out with the double overarm support. The back story on my machine is :A tech college instructor added the dc powered variable speed vertical head in the 1980s it was his personal machine. about 25 years ago a farmer bought the machine from him. It has made the occasional keyway during those 25 years I am now purchasing the machine for restoration to good functional condition with the possible addition of DRO for my hobby machine shop. Any relevant information that anyone will share is appreciated.

Attachments

• mill1.jpg
    mill1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 75
  • mill2.jpg
    mill2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 56
Appears to be an almost entirely homemade vertical head and ram. Impressive... heck of a lot of work there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

From visiting with the seller the vertical head was made by a machining teacher at a tech college around 1980. I have spent a few hours with the machine and have the following observations 1 it is heavy 2 it is solid. 3 It has very little back lash. none detected in Z around, 30 thou X, and 20 thou Y. I am still trying to figure out the feeds I now know how to adjust horizontal head speeds and vertical head feeds. For a 110+ year old machine it runs very quiet. The arcing in the horizontal motor on startup and under heavy load is very troubling. The motor looks to be of 1930s-1940 vintage and is a very slow speed motor I will put a tach on it next week but I would guess 750rpm 3 hp single phase 240 volt. I am hopeful I can put new brushes in it and be good Hopeful I have brushed on hand for it. As availability may problematic ( I do have several hundred brush sets of various sizes on hand) I am wanting to mount a DRO. Any helpful input is encouraged as I am a total NEWBE when it comes to DRO. Also what size of a vise would be best for a machine the size of a K&T 1B All of my on hand tooling is a bit small for this machine as my old mills are Rockwell 21-122 and Burke #4 I am fortunate in that this new mill came with 3 arbors one of witch is the same size as all of my cutters from the burke and the indexing head from the burke will be fine for the work I have been doing. A rotary table is on my wish list as is a complete R8 collet set ( I have bits and pieces of 3 sets but am still missing some sizes) and a large face mill.

Back