What's new
What's new

Putting power to a 10EE

rke[pler

Diamond
After 4 years offline I'm bringing up my 10EE. It was taken from service in Rockford in 1998, and sat unmaintained in an unheated garage since. There are going to be issues other than body rust from that - I've got grunge and rusk coming from beneath the ways; it's clearing so I'm somewhat hopeful that it'll clear out so I don't have to pull the carriage.

Any final points before I start it up? I'm following the inital adjustment procedure in the manual but thinking that someone here might have some input.

rke[pler

Diamond
Well, without any comments I powered it up. I've got tube power. When I try to apply power with the start button (with the spindle off) I get a pretty satisfying thwack from the contactor in the back but the 3C23 rectifiers glow a lot more brightly than I'd expect. I haven't left it on long enough to find out just how bright they'll get - what's the experience on this from others? If this is normal (damn, but it's been a while since I played with a mercury vaor rectifier) I'll proceed...