What's new
What's new

QT10N ATC M/C question

Seems right, xa-mont. I'm not familiar with Mazatrol so I wasn't sure how to phrase the question to someone unfamiliar with g-code. Do you know if a machine that age with a t3 control would have that option?
No idea, no idea if it's a mazatrol term either, just know that that's what interpolation between the C and other axis is referred to by some people.

Can't see why it wouldn't though. Might be a bit more work to program than a later one, but that doesn't seem like a great technological leap.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick reply benganboll, but I think we are talking about two different things. What I am referring to is done with a g12.1 command on a matrix control. What is does, is allows you to use your c axis as a y axis, so you could mill a hex on the face of a bar. I hope that makes sense, not really sure how to describe something like that. I would think that a machine of this age (1988) wouldn't have such capabilities, but mazak controls always seem ahead of the times, so I thought I would ask....

The machine can certainly program using X-Y coordinates in Mazatrol but not in G-code. Like I said earlier, you will want to throw rocks at G-code machines once you learn how easy Mazatrol is to run.

One of my first programming examples using X-Y coordinates on the T-3 control was programming my initials (PS) into the face of a test part.

Thanks for the quick reply benganboll, but I think we are talking about two different things. What I am referring to is done with a g12.1 command on a matrix control. What is does, is allows you to use your c axis as a y axis, so you could mill a hex on the face of a bar. I hope that makes sense, not really sure how to describe something like that. I would think that a machine of this age (1988) wouldn't have such capabilities, but mazak controls always seem ahead of the times, so I thought I would ask....

Aha, yes you can do a hex at the end of a bar, no problem at all.
Here is some stuff I made in my QT10ATC with Mazatrol(All operations)
IMG_6924b.jpg

Thanks for all the input, guys! Glad to know it can do polar interpolation. Those are some impressive examples, benganboll! Looks like a very capable machine. As far as mazatrol goes... I have nothing against it, I just have no idea how to use it and have no means of getting trained with it. I program everything long hand (no cam software) with g-code (give me some rocks, I'll start throwing!) so I would absolutely love to have the quick programming ability that mazatrol provides. My company uses edgecam, which I am not impressed with AT ALL! My boss wants to send me for edgecam training and I countered with Mazatrol training instead, but I was quickly shot down. I have seen examples online of machining techniques programmed with Mazatrol, that edgecam claims they can do, but their own support people weren't able to execute the same techniques. Pretty lame, if you ask me.

Haha, I'd rather visit Sweden! Either way, I'll let you guys know how the machine looks when I check it out.

As far as mazatrol goes... I have nothing against it, I just have no idea how to use it and have no means of getting trained with it.

Biggest difference between Mazatrol and G-code is with Mazatrol you are describing the part shape to the machine and then tell the machine to cut it. G-code you are instructing the machine how to move the tool.

Not to mention, the graphics on Mazatrol are what drives the program. You can virtually see a cross section of your part before you cut it and also visualize the tools during the cut. You will never look at the "distance to go" screen ever again.

We can help you learn the machine here. Do a search because we have already taught many people the basics and some advanced stuff too. You can learn Mazatrol in 2 days if you had someone at the control with you. It's not hard.

I'll do a search and take you up on that, philabuster. When you said that with Mazatrol you are describing the part, a light went off in my head. I've been approaching things all wrong. Don't be surprised if an ancient thread jumps to the top, haha! Thanks for the advice and the offer of help!

Mazakson sorry to hear you missed out on the Mazak but you have started a great thread that is very similar to my situation.

I have found a 1989 QT10N ATC that I will be inspecting next week. The plan is to stuff it in my garage but I'm afraid that the cost to run power to it will be more then the machine. I currently have 220v single phase 30 amps ran into the garage, so I obviously an would need a RPC. But how many more amps would I need? Benganboll said he was running 3 machines on only 50amps, seems kinda low to me but I'm absolutely no electrician. I've been trying to do my homework on PM first before I started asking questions, somewhere I thought I saw someone say the QT10N needs something like 29 KVA. With 220v 3 phase that would be 77 amps! To be also noted I will be hiring a professional to wire everything I just want to know what I am missing.

The machine can certainly program using X-Y coordinates in Mazatrol but not in G-code. Like I said earlier, you will want to throw rocks at G-code machines once you learn how easy Mazatrol is to run.

One of my first programming examples using X-Y coordinates on the T-3 control was programming my initials (PS) into the face of a test part.

Is it impossible to do polar interpolation in just hand written G-code or is it possible to do this with a Cam and post processor?

Thanks I hope this thread isn't to old for me to bring back.

yeah
you might get away with 60amps 3 phase 240. but I'd feel alot better with a hundred

I run on a 60 amp breaker at 240V with my standard (not ATC version) QT-10N, but I did reduce the spindle acceleration rate for now...

With the FR-SE spindle drive and the "20 HP" spindle motor set at the factory setting, I measured a peak momentary current of ≈ 80 Amps per leg at the spindle drive input cables.

Of course, that 80A current is momentary (peak hold mode on a Fluke DMM). You can run that on a 60A breaker because it takes a sustained current of 125% (75A) to trip that 60A breaker.

EATON CH 3 pole breaker time vs current curve

The number across the top (horizontal axis) is Amps as a percentage of the breaker rating.
The number down the left axis is the saturation time at a continuous current to trip the breaker.

The two different lines are maximum and minimum, they show the tolerance band due to ambient temperature and other factors, including manufacturing tolerances.

Hope that helps. It's really not complicated, it just looks that way on the surface.

Mazakson sorry to hear you missed out on the Mazak but you have started a great thread that is very similar to my situation.

I have found a 1989 QT10N ATC that I will be inspecting next week. The plan is to stuff it in my garage but I'm afraid that the cost to run power to it will be more then the machine. I currently have 220v single phase 30 amps ran into the garage, so I obviously an would need a RPC. But how many more amps would I need? Benganboll said he was running 3 machines on only 50amps, seems kinda low to me but I'm absolutely no electrician. I've been trying to do my homework on PM first before I started asking questions, somewhere I thought I saw someone say the QT10N needs something like 29 KVA. With 220v 3 phase that would be 77 amps! To be also noted I will be hiring a professional to wire everything I just want to know what I am missing.

Is it impossible to do polar interpolation in just hand written G-code or is it possible to do this with a Cam and post processor?

Thanks I hope this thread isn't to old for me to bring back.
I have a 10N ATC/MC at home as well as my work. It really is one kick ass little machine. :cloud9:

I reduced the spindle acceleration to 8 seconds which make it pull only 40 amps of 3 phase power. You will definitely need more power in your garage for sure along with a large phase converter. I'm running everything on a 30hp Phase Perfect PT-380. Well worth the purchase price!

You can do polar coordinates in a manual process or in a Mazatrol process if you want. I have never messed with a CAM system able to spit out C-axis polar coordinates before, but have manually entered them in via a drawing program.

Benganboll said he was running 3 machines on only 50amps, seems kinda low to me but I'm absolutely no electrician. I've been trying to do my homework on PM first before I started asking questions, somewhere I thought I saw someone say the QT10N needs something like 29 KVA. With 220v 3 phase that would be 77 amps! To be also noted I will be hiring a professional to wire everything I just want to know what I am missing.

Yes, I was running QT10N T2, QT10ATC T3 and ST30ATC T3 on 3X50A fuses at 220-240V.
It is not optimal, I have ampere meters and I am over 100A for short times but I have never blown a 50A fuse so far even if they can get very hot.

I have now sold my QT10N and replaced it with a Multiplex 620 T32-6 and now I need bigger fuses if I run all 3 at the same time.

Thanks for clarifying everybody, I will start my own thread after I go look at the machine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Biggest difference between Mazatrol and G-code is with Mazatrol you are describing the part shape to the machine and then tell the machine to cut it. G-code you are instructing the machine how to move the tool.

Not to mention, the graphics on Mazatrol are what drives the program. You can virtually see a cross section of your part before you cut it and also visualize the tools during the cut. You will never look at the "distance to go" screen ever again.

We can help you learn the machine here. Do a search because we have already taught many people the basics and some advanced stuff too. You can learn Mazatrol in 2 days if you had someone at the control with you. It's not hard.
Hi All

Need some help from the group. I've disappeared for about 2+ years, I have been building a new shop...meaning dug the hole, poured concrete, framed, roofed, sided, wired, ducting, garage doors, homebrew security system, a bunch of stuff, closing in on the finish drywall...have all mental acuities and all 10 fingers and toes still :)

However I have a bad problem with my 10N. In waiting to finish up the new shop I've been powering up the control regularly and letting the phase perfect recharge the memory batteries. All good until around Oct Nov when I had a memory parity error. Next time I had a ? fault but most of the parameters were ***. Crap.

I solved the easy battery problem by getting some 600mAh NiMh batteries to wire to the circuit boards in place of the 200mAh triple cells which were like 4x the cost. Ok so they're just hanging by wire nuts but the functionality is there :eek:

I photographed all of the parameter screens in the past, thinking it would be useful, and now it hopefully will be...

I have an error for parameter M1-M12 invalid, so i tried re-entering those according to the list. Those all entered but some of the higher M parameters in the next column won't take the proper number via manual entry.

I read a memory reset & recovery procedure from Mazak dated '89. 89-002, and now I have a few questions.

- It references the version of the control, B-C-D-E-F, based on the following pics I'm going to guess "C"

The procedure references needing a "microdisk" for versions C and higher, I've poked around some but no idea where this would even go into (is it like a CF or SD or ?) card or something I'd have to buy from Mazak? I got a pile of paper manuals with the machine but not anything like that.

Also the procedure references "secret parameters" by entering 1311 after touching the 3rd button from right on the Param page, but I can't get that...is it possible I don't have any "secrets" ?

The procedure references a full reset/hard-cold-start involving pulling cards and flipping dip switches, and purposefully discharging the memory capacitor to zero. I don't think I have much to lose because the programs and tools are all gone now.

Any advice appreciated here, sort of :willy_nilly:and of course mad at myself that I let a few $ in batteries get the best of me...but I'm vowing to conquer this, learn some more, setup a better system, finsh the damn shop and get back to machining :scratchchin:

Thank you!

hi Unfortunately, I also have your problem
My serial number is 71559
Please send me the picture of the parameters
Thanks.

[email protected]

Back