What's new
What's new

Question About Cast Iron Back Plate...

LKeithR

Stainless
I have a 13 x 40 lathe with a D1-6 spindle mount and I would like to mount a nice little Bison 6" 3-jaw chuck that came on a rotary table I acquired in a separate deal. To mount the chuck I planned to use a backplate that came as a spare with the lathe. I cleaned the back plate up and mounted it on the lathe but when I started to machine it I discovered that it was cast iron.

I know there are rpm limitations on cast iron chucks but does the same apply to backplates as well? I don't want to have anything coming apart on me at speed. The max. RPM of my machine is 2250 and the backplate will end up being about 8" in dia. and 1" thick so centrifugal forces won't be extreme--nothing like some of the CNC equipment out there. The backplate has been used at some point in time as there are some extra holes drilled and tapped in it. Should I be concerned about the fact that the backplate is cast iron?

Thanks everyone. I was pretty sure it would be OK but I just wanted some confirmation. When I looked online I couldn't find any mention of RPM limits with regard to backplates so that in itself is a pretty good indication that it isn't an issue...

Back