What's new
What's new

Question about the extended changewheel cover for the metric banjo on HLV*s

Mark Rand

Diamond
The use of the 127 tooth gear for metric threads on the imperial HLV*s needs a larger cover. I assume that the larger cover came with the conversion set/option. I've got a metric banjo, which I use fairly often, but I have to leave the door chocked open to fit the 127T gear in. I'd like to cast a replacement cover but I have one question relating to it:-

Is the right hand/fixed side of the housing fixed to the existing gearbox endplate or does it replace the original endplate? If it's the former, I can make a casting to fit. If it's the latter, then I've got to get some cast iron and do some milling!

I have seen those covers show up on eBay.
I’m afraid that I don’t know the answer to your question though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own the metric conversion kit. There is a housing and a door. So it opens and closes like a cigar box. The flat end is bolted into the position where the smaller door was positioned.
The original smaller door is removed with 3 screws on a piano hinge. The conversion box is aluminium.

Whereabouts in the UK are you? Welcome to come and look at mine and get dimensions if you're anywhere near leicester.

I'll brave the snow and get some measurements.

I may be some time...

Brrrrr...

fixed part overall width 295 , height 225 , thickness of 17
curved end is one large radius 128 starts about180 from rear to
end about 250 from rear bottom
rear edge is 85 from output shaft and top edge 95 above,

Cover is 60 deep outside with 53 inside, cut out in bottom of cover is 200 wide by 48

Attachments

• HLV-H imperial to 0.5,1,2 mm setup with text.jpg
    HLV-H imperial to 0.5,1,2 mm setup with text.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 20
  • 6tpi.jpg
    6tpi.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 20
  • Large cover.jpg
    Large cover.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 19

Back