What's new
What's new

Question for Millacron: Why does PM need to limit image size so much?

EPAIII

Diamond
Probably the best way to post a page of text is to use a scan, not a photo. There are many printers out there that cost well under $100 which will also scan documents and produce the resolution you want in a multitude of formats. You can get them at Walmart for Pete's sake.

I have a Brother, large format printer (11" wide paper path). I can scan documents up to 11" x 17" in a range of resolutions. It couldn't be easier. A few experiments would easily find a good resolution to use for the documents that you want to post. I would suggest starting around 100 pixels per inch and work up or down from there. 100 pixels X 8.5 inches = 850 pixel width which is close to the 800 pixel width that I have been recommending. That should allow normal text to be easily read but your documents may vary. Here is a scan that was made with 600 pixel per inch resolution. I then used Paint to reduce the resolution to 800 pixels wide and 800 pixels wide before it was uploaded. This reduced the overall file size by quite a bit.

attachment.php

OK, I give up. I have scanned this at 100 DPI and at 600 DPI. I tried uploading it at the 100 DPI version (about 840 pixels wide) and the BB software shrank it. The original was readable, but not great. I then used Paint to resize it to 800 pixels wide and uploaded it again. Again the BB software shrank it and the result was disappointing. I then scanned it at 600 DPI resolution and the original was great. I used Paint to reduce it to 800 Pixels wide (about 100 DPI) and even that looked very good. You could tell it had been reduced, but it was VERY readable. So I tried using Paint.net to change it to a black and white version. That reduced the file size by a factor of about 3 while keeping the 800 Pixel width, and the original was still very readable. But the BB software still reduced it until it was unreadable. All of the above were a full page, not cut off at the bottom as you see above. Finally, I reduced the vertical size of the color version of the third test to the same 800 Pixels as it's width. The BB software again shrunk it. That is what you see above.

I give up. OK, one more test.

This one was scanned at 600 DPI, reduced to 800 pixels wide X 600 pixels high using Paint.

attachment.php

While this is the best test so far and the BB is displaying it at the full width of the text, the small text is considerably more blurred than in the same image on my computer. Apparently the BB software is not just reducing the size, this one came out full size, but it is reducing the quality, the sharpness of the image. This is an easy thing to do with JPEG image encoding by just dropping the finer levels of information in the file while preserving the actual pixel count. This does decrease the file size that is needed to store the image and that is the only reason that I can see to do that.

I doubt that Milicron or his IS people can do anything about this except to make a request to vBulletin. The only work-around that I can see is to scan or photograph smaller sections of each page and posting them in sequence. That is not much help if the text runs the full width of an 8.5 inch wide page. Another way would be to use something like Dropbox. I have a free account there. But they are not a photo hosting site, just file storage. I hate to even suggest something like Photobucket. I will never use them again.

Etc, etc, etc.at length, from someone who has never posted a photo or document here to my knowlege.

Logical fallacy. If it's hard to post documents here, they won't get posted here. Not all documents are available elsewhere.

Here's an example of a document I posted in the mauals forum - https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...well-hardness-tester-195561/?highlight=wilson
I don't know of another place to find this, but maybe it's available 100 other places, I don't know. It's used here a lot, it has 31K views, and I've had several PMs of thanks for posting it. The image size makes it borderline readable, a little size improvement would make a huge improvement in readability and printablilty. Here's an example image.

18608d1262470555-wilson-rockwell-hardness-tester-wilsonp5-1024.jpg

I didn't post any more of the manual because it was a PITA for diminishing benefit.

And this doesn't just apply to documents. For example, AlfaGTAs great photo dissertations with photobucket images of the repairs he did were invaluable in the Deckel forum, smaller photos just don't convey the same amount of detail and information.

OK, I give up. I have scanned this at 100 DPI and at 600 DPI. I tried uploading it at the 100 DPI version (about 840 pixels wide) and the BB software shrank it ...
EPA .... for 90% of stuff, 72 dpi is fine. 600 is way overkill. That's a big help on size. Also, if you save as a jpeg, you can choose the amount of compression. It's pretty difficult on the web to tell the difference between 100% quality and 80%. That won't make any difference to what the site software does, but it makes the image much faster to download.

Here's a top core for a wheel mold, 1600 x 1200 72 dpi, it will put a thumbnail here then rmb click open in a new tab, shows a resized version that fits the browser (I believe firefox does that), click the shrunk image and you get the full size. You can go bigger if you want, I just find this to be a convenient size, even for larger photos.

Go to advanced in the thread editor, manage attachments, add files, browse, upload, insert, done and here she be.

View attachment 300349

Honest, imo this is fine. If someone needs a REALLY hi-res shot, they can always ask. But the small thumbnail means people who aren't interested don't have to be bothered, while people who are, can.

For text it's even better, if you insist you can put a huge imagine up, it will inline the thumbnail but the full image will be sharp-sharp.

I like to bitch, but in this case, I think this site does good. :)

p.s. Done on a Macintosh laptop. An old one cast off by the girlfriend. Easy-peasy. If I display it on the 3840x2400 T221 at 200 dpi everything is tiny. Hence the laptop ...

My only complaint would be, when you upload to the site, it would be nice if it were easier to manage that set of images. It's sort of a pain in the rear to delete old useless ones.

Mud

Diamond
EPAIII - Good post. I went through just about the same process, and came to the same conclusion. I can fool the BB software into posting a larger photo when there is little information in the photo and it can be compressed to 92K without reducing the size, but a text page with lots of type contains lots of pixel info and requires lots of compression.

rimcanyon

Diamond
I don't know why we can't agree on one thing, but I am sure someone, probably Thermite, will not agree:
posting images in whatever the maximum size allowed is should be easy. On all platforms, not just PC's.

Yes I can figure out a 5-step process to post an image, but simple is better. Right now, posting a large image from a MAC, IPad or iPhone is not simple.

thermite

Diamond
I don't know why we can't agree on one thing, but I am sure someone, probably Thermite, will not agree:
posting images in whatever the maximum size allowed is should be easy. On all platforms, not just PC's.

Yes I can figure out a 5-step process to post an image, but simple is better. Right now, posting a large image from a MAC, IPad or iPhone is not simple.

It isn't really OS / platform relevant, given it is done in the browser.

More than five steps, but which one(s) can you figure out how to eliminate:

1) "Be(come)" in edit mode. Have to be to add new content OR edit old.

2) Select"Advanced" -unless you are optioned to ALWAYS edit in "advanced" mode.

3) Select "Manage Attachments."

4) Select "Browse" to choose a file (on your own logged-in device)

5) Select "Upload" to transfer a copy of the chosen file(s) to PM's storage.

6) WHEN it / they appear, choose it / they for use. (box tick at the corner)

7) Specify the / those chosen be inserted, "inline".

8) When done, select "done"

The wise then:

9) View the results.

10) Edit / move the if it is not where you want it to be in the flow of text.

11) View again. Repeat until satisfied ELSE have run out of patience or exhausted the local supply of "CPS".

So no.. one cannot just drag and drop, Mac style.

And there are more than five Therbligs.