What's new
What's new

Questions about SSC 1 1/4 collets

aribert

Cast Iron
Been doing a little cleaning - bought a lot of 5C metric collets at auction about 18 months ago and these collets were included. I finally dug them out of a corner and have a couple of questions. The four collets from the left in the images are all marked SSC 1 1/4 with the SYIC logo and yet the one on the far left is longer/taller by a flange thickness - is the taller one interchangeable with the center three? Second question - the collet on the far right is taller/longer than the rest with a different flange on the end - is this also an SSC collet?

Attachments

• 20220606_090020.jpg
    20220606_090020.jpg
    649 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220606_090045.jpg
    20220606_090045.jpg
    727.8 KB · Views: 5
hey man, im curious what youre going to do with these collets, i got a few in an auction lot and i have no idea what to use them in...

is there an r8 adapter i can buy?

What you have are reduction sleeves to allow holding smaller stock in most any collet with a 1-1/4" through hole. For instance, 2J and 16C collets are available with a 1-1/4" order hole, so these sleeves offer a lower cost solution instead of paying the price of a set of 2J or 16C collets. They might work in a 5C 1-1/4" extra deep step chuck, but regular 5C collets are so cheap that there would not be much cost saving. They would potentially introduce additional runout. The length of the sleeve and the thickness of the collar does not matter. The flange is to prevent the sleeve from being pushed back into the actual collet.

Larry

Last edited:
Larry:
Thank you for responding/explaining.

nady_ice:
"curious what youre going to do with these collets" Nothing - I was just trying to find out how they are used. I will probably put them on eBay for $15 and see if I get a bite - unless someone here wants to buy them or trade them for a 64th 5c collet that I don't have.

man i have a set on marketplace and they havent moved at all, i think I'm just going to donate them to the local scrap yard

Back