What's new
What's new

Questions about wiring a 115v single phase Baldor motor

mrplasma

Aluminum
I just purchased a 3/4 hp single phase Baldor motor on eBay, which hasn't arrived yet. I need it to rotate counter clockwise when looking at the shaft end. There are three wires sticking out of the motor - green, red, and white. I understand that the green is ground, and it doesn't matter which way the other two connect to the two remaining plug terminals.

The wiring schematic on the motor shows how to reverse the direction, if necessary, but I'm not sure I know how to interpret it. I think Std means clockwise, and Opp means counter-clockwise, but when viewed from which end of the motor? Which diagram do I use to reverse the rotation? The top diagram seems simple enough, but the bottom diagram not so much.

Also, what is the best way to deal with the three wires sticking out of the motor? I'm thinking I should pull off the plastic/nylon connector and wires, and attach the new cord to wherever the old wires were attached.

Baldor motor.jpg Baldor.jpg

I just purchased a 3/4 hp single phase Baldor motor on eBay, which hasn't arrived yet. I need it to rotate counter clockwise when looking at the shaft end. There are three wires sticking out of the motor - green, red, and white. I understand that the green is ground, and it doesn't matter which way the other two connect to the two remaining plug terminals.

The wiring schematic on the motor shows how to reverse the direction, if necessary, but I'm not sure I know how to interpret it. I think Std means clockwise, and Opp means counter-clockwise, but when viewed from which end of the motor? Which diagram do I use to reverse the rotation? The top diagram seems simple enough, but the bottom diagram not so much.

Also, what is the best way to deal with the three wires sticking out of the motor? I'm thinking I should pull off the plastic/nylon connector and wires, and attach the new cord to wherever the old wires were attached.

View attachment 388619 View attachment 388620

This should get you sorted direction wise. Not sure on what they have going on with the strain relief connector, That is meant for cabtire (extension cord like rubber cover wire) my guess the wiring is connected in the capacitor cover.

If you get the right sized cord you can use that existing connector to retain it.

single phase motor.jpg

View attachment 388619 View attachment 388620
yes you are correct,
id pull a new wire, it probably feeds into the cap cover
rotation is viewed from the shaft end. rotation the wrong way is just switching one wire from 5 to 8.

The motor came today. I wired it up temporarily to an extension cord with the receptacle end cut off. I connected white to white, red from motor to black from cord, and a wire from a screw on the motor case to the green on the cord. It ran perfectly counter-clockwise, which is what I wanted. The only remaining question since I can't get to the wire connections in the motor, is what is the best way to safely connect the three 2" long wires from the motor to a cord?

wires into motor.jpg

Last edited:
The picture shown appears to be minus the junction box where motor leads would normally be made up. If you have a friendly motor shop nearby, they usually have a big box of old junction boxes you could pick through. Failing that, a 2"X3" handy box screwed to the motor would suffice as a safe point to connect motor leads to your cord.

Stuart

Back