What's new
What's new

Questions On grinding with Live tooling

ENaylor

Plastic
Alright hopefully someone here can help me out. I have been doing research and most people say its not possible with some outliers who say it is and theyve done it. What I am trying to do is take a grinding wheel that I made a fixture for and put it in my Live tooling holder in my lathe and rotate the mill tool with the wheel in it at the same time as the main spindle. I want to try to grind some Urethane tubes this way instead of trying to fix a tool post grinder in my lathe. I have a 2011 Hyundai Wia LMC400 with a fanuc 32i series A.

I thought maybe polygon machining is the answer but I cant get it to activate either that or I am using improper coding. Any help or suggestions would be awesome. Appreciate yall!

Comatose

Titanium
Are you trying to call the spindle or the C axis? I can't see any reason why you'd be running into issues if you're using C.

ENaylor

Plastic
Are you trying to call the spindle or the C axis? I can't see any reason why you'd be running into issues if you're using C.
I am trying to have the C axis engaged so i can run the live tooling holder and spin the spindle at the same time. Whether or not that is possible I am unsure. Once I engage the C axis and try to turn on both spindles my live tooling shuts off and my spindle will spin but the machine alarms out and said C axis is not connected.

wmpy

Hot Rolled
I just did this recently on a Hardinge lathe where I drilled on center using a live holder while spinning both the live and main spindles. It worked great. It might not be doable on your lathe, though.
Do you have to engage C axis to turn on the live spindle? On my machine, I just started the live spindle then started the main spindle. It was easy.
If you can't do this, there may be an M-code for some sort of spindle interlock that would allow you to run both spindles at the same time.

ENaylor

Plastic
I just did this recently on a Hardinge lathe where I drilled on center using a live holder while spinning both the live and main spindles. It worked great. It might not be doable on your lathe, though.
Do you have to engage C axis to turn on the live spindle? On my machine, I just started the live spindle then started the main spindle. It was easy.
If you can't do this, there may be an M-code for some sort of spindle interlock that would allow you to run both spindles at the same time.
Sadly I have to engage the C to use the live tool. I am hoping someone knows a way around it tho LOL. So far tho looks like I might just have to build a custom tool post grinder

Comatose

Titanium
Any reason you can't rotate your c 180 degrees, rotate 180 more, increment your grinder in a little, and repeat? Seems like a 20 line macro program. That's faster to write than having to build something.

Ox

Diamond
You may be hemmed in a bit with C, but try the INCR version of C @ H and see if that opens more revs?

Hardinge has a macro to allow this to work.
Not sure if it works on other builders machines or not?

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox