What's new
What's new

Quick change tool post milling motor

Powder Hobbit

Plastic
Hi Folks- By now, and with the miniaturization of high torque motors, I'd imagine that someone has invented and sells a milling HEAD attachment for a quick-change tool post. To be clear, I'm NOT talking about a milling attachment mounted to the compound. I'm talking about a variable-speed motor, mounted to the quick-change tool post.

I'd sure appreciate any leads on this.

I have seen simple designs to hold a dremel or larger die grinder by the neck with a split collar.
Bill D

Hi Folks- By now, and with the miniaturization of high torque motors, I'd imagine that someone has invented and sells a milling HEAD attachment for a quick-change tool post. To be clear, I'm NOT talking about a milling attachment mounted to the compound. I'm talking about a variable-speed motor, mounted to the quick-change tool post.

I'd sure appreciate any leads on this.
For what purpose ?

They have been for many years "Powered Tools"
Used on lathes, CNC conventional as well as Swiss style.

Your post is way too open ended to answer properly, how big of a lathe and tool post, required spindle speeds on the milling head, HP, tool holding method, budget etc. Obviously there's a bit of a difference between the tool posts on a tiny Shereline and something like a DS & G lathe. But there was at least one I know of called the Quick Step Mill (Google it) At one time sold through Hemingway kits in the UK, but it now seems to have been discontinued or it's at least currently unavailable. I have one and no it's not for sale. But unless your doing something real simple, that milling head is only half of what you need because some method of head stock dividing and a good spindle lock or brake is also part of it.

Again it depends on just what your needing, but there's various enlarged versions somewhat compatible to that Shereline head stock through GlockCNC with spindle tapers of BT 30, 5C, ISO-20, ER and even R8 that would work. https://glockcnc.com/headstocks/ What to drive it with would of course be up to you. But I also don't know of any "high torque" variable speed motor that's going to give you enough torque for a range of milling tasks with just a twist of a knob without some form of mechanical speed reduction and torque multiplication.

If your needs fall into the Dremel, Proxxon, or Foredom range, lots of people have rolled their own. For all three brands, there are handpiece clamps you can buy which take care of the fussiest bit of making a QCTP adapter. On my DSM-59 (hand turret lathe without compound slide or QCTP), I have used a heavy Foredom handpiece with a low-speed, high-torque power unit on both the cross-slide and in a turret position for radial and axial work that would have been more trouble than I wanted to set up on a mill for a 2nd operation.

The Proxxon Dremel type tool has a 20mm metal collar at the nose and they also sell a 20mm mount that can be put into a standard bit holder including QD types.

Not for heavy milling but with carbide burrs can do light milling such as wrench flats and keyways.

Back