What's new
What's new

Quick Change Vise Jaws - Kurt

wishin4snow

Plastic
I want to start implementing a way to make change over between jaws faster and more reliable. We currently have 6" Kurt vises. It sucks having to re-find zero on our custom jaws every time. I know there is Carvesmart. I was wondering if anyone could comment on other solutions or their experience with Carvesmart.

Those just drop on over a low profile shoulder bolt? They don't explain how the work very well on their website.
yes, that is correct.

To the OP, snap jaws are great. Jaw changes are very fast and you can change from different size step jaws, or various v jaws.

However they aren't great for repeating locations in the x direction, which sounds like the problem you want to solve.

I would also suggest they are pretty damn expensive for what they are. We have lots but we have had them for years, and I am sure my boss would be feeling the sticker shock if we bought the amount of jaws we have, now.

How repeatable do you need them to be?
IME Carvesmart jaws with the locating pin were good for .005", but if you're expecting <.001" you're still going to need to indicate/probe them. I think the issue is because the soft jaws are extruded and every time I reloaded them they bent a little different.

Snap-Jaw for me but I just buy the screws from McMaster and make them from 3/4" x 2" aluminum. I love the smaller hole in the face and rarely use any other jaws, even when using parallels. For better repeatability make them a little long on one end for a pin stop. Or a magnetic stop on the vise side to reference when installing the jaws.

Snap-Jaw for me but I just buy the screws from McMaster and make them from 3/4" x 2" aluminum. I love the smaller hole in the face and rarely use any other jaws, even when using parallels. For better repeatability make them a little long on one end for a pin stop. Or a magnetic stop on the vise side to reference when installing the jaws.

I was thinking this would be a good way to go.

I usually just make jaws and if needed to repeat, I machine a step down in the jaws so I can just butt it up against the vise itself. I just hate having to undo the bolts all the way to remove them.

How repeatable do you need them to be?
IME Carvesmart jaws with the locating pin were good for .005", but if you're expecting <.001" you're still going to need to indicate/probe them. I think the issue is because the soft jaws are extruded and every time I reloaded them they bent a little different.
For us CarveSmart soft jaws are usually +/- .002 at the most, often close enough not to need tweaking. We're using the integrated carriers on the Orange vise, not sure if the bolt on master jaws are different somehow.

When buying lengths of extruded stock the jaw price is pretty low. And the design lends itself to home brew accessories if you need something odd.

I’ve made my own snap-jaws for my junk 4” vises and they save a lot of time. It occurs to me if the jaws were a little longer a tab on the bottom could locate against the bed of a vise making them very repeatable.

Kurt owns Carvesmart now so they're one in the same. I use the carvesmart jaws with my orange vises and as long as you use the ones with the pins in the back they repeat within about .002" side to side. We also have tons of the snapjaws but for softjaws there's nothing that makes them repeat and imo they're way overpriced. For step jaws though they're pretty good, still probably over priced though. If you need something to be dead nuts you're better off cutting a new pair each time.

Thanks guys. I have heard the repeatability of the carvesmart is probably a problem with the extrusion. Would you think making your own jaws and machining the profile would help eliminate some of this error? I ask because I would probably prefer to make the jaws out of 7075 so they hold up a little better to wear. Not a fan of steel for our parts.

I pin all my vises and jaws............o'course they are not quick change as I still use standard cap screws.................they repeat within a few thou.

49255511942_a3f2ac1f1d_k.jpg

Thanks guys. I have heard the repeatability of the carvesmart is probably a problem with the extrusion. Would you think making your own jaws and machining the profile would help eliminate some of this error? I ask because I would probably prefer to make the jaws out of 7075 so they hold up a little better to wear. Not a fan of steel for our parts.
Buy the aluminum jaws from Orange Vise, they machine the dovetails on the jaws. Pretty reasonably priced to if you buy in quantity.

We use a vertical dovetail soft jaws system that repeat within half a thou if the vise is cleaned correctly.
You can find them here. Look them up on face book as well.

We use a vertical dovetail soft jaws system that repeat within half a thou if the vise is cleaned correctly.
You can find them here. Look them up on face book as well.
Do you also happen to be the manufacturer? Or just love them so much you joined a forum to push a product??

Back