What's new
What's new

Quincy 108 Compressor

ACME Anvils

Plastic
Hi folks. I'm new to this forum. Just wondering if anyone can point me towards some info on an old compressor I had given to me. I attached screenshots of the compressor and tank ID tags. The motor is a 2 HP generic 208V, single phase unit. I went to Quincy's website and found parts manuals, etc., but the earliest I could find is ROC 24, which is much newer than this unit.

Anyone know where I can find info on the compressor. I'd like to know cfm @ xPSI numbers, etc. I'd also like to know what I need to do to maintain it properly. Who knows what (if any) maintenance has been performed. I'd also like a parts list. Likely obsoleted by Quincy, so I'll have to go aftermarket.

I have written to Quincy and am waiting for their response.

Before I use this machine, I want to make sure that I'm not going to damage the compressor or have the tank blow up. My next research project is to look up how to test the tank and make sure it's good, or find a replacement. Suggestions for this topic are also greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Compressor Tank.jpg
    Compressor Tank.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Quincy Compressor.jpg
    Quincy Compressor.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 9
Thanks Karl. I'd found this doc this morning, but wasn't sure if it was relevant to an older year model.

I need to research some more and see what would be involved in a rebuild and how to determine whether it needs one.

It at least needs a good cleaning on the head. You will likely find built up carbon preventing efficient operation. Replacing the little springs and reed plates just make good sense. For sure do an oil change. Likely input filter to replace.

A bit of preventive maintenance once every 50 years or so is just a good idea.

I found a manual from 1994. I haven't found anything older, yet. It says that the compressor should run between 400-900 rpm and that the continuous pressure is 100 psi with and intermittent max of 150 psi. I want to know scfm as I need to do a bit of sand blasting. Based on the specs for the newer models

1699282077504.png

I'm guesstimating that my 108 is similar to the 216 - same bore and stroke. It has a 2 hp motor. I'll have to figure out what the current rpm is and estimate cfm based on that. Would I need to go to a larger motor to enable running @ 900 rpm?

I need to sandblast my tractor rims and weld up any holes / weak spots. The tires were ballasted with CaCl2, so they look like they're pretty badly corroded. Until I pull the tires, I won't know if they're salvageable. I've read that a lot of volume is needed for sandblasting and 9-10 cfm isn't much.

I don't have a lot of blasting to do, so I expect I'll be able to limp by. I may try hydroblasting as an alternative.

Hydro blasting would be better.

Have you considered paying a blasting company? They can do little jobs like this when they are doing something bigger.

I haven't looked to see if that might be an option here. That said, my experiences with contractors and contracted services has left me firmly in the DIY camp. I'd rather spend more and gain the equipment and knowledge to do it myself.

Back