What's new
What's new

Really cool old photo from the Railroad industry

If you want a better idea of what a locomotive repair shop looked like here's a great video. https://youtu.be/Ag8Xew4R2fo too bad good color film really came out 15 to 20 years too late to capture the glory days of steam railroading.

I disagree with the comments above that railroad shops were long tracks and didn't do things lined up like the photo shown as I have seen many photos of shops in that arrangement over the years. I would say by the photo probably hard to tell if it's a builder or repair shop.

What it would have been like to have gotten a tour of one of the great steam shops in the day of steam. I was able to see the modern day equivalent which is located in Atlanta Georgia at Hartsfield Airport where Delta maintains their airplanes. I got a 3hr walking tour of that facility once by one of their plant machinery mechanics. After walking around for 3hrs he told us we'd only seen about 1/2 the facility! What a cool trip. Tons of machine shops and all sorts of teardown and rebuild areas. I was told but we couldn't get to see it that they even had a heavy hot forging facility somewhere in the property which I really wanted to have seen in action.

On a side note, If you get a choice always pick Delta airlines they treat their employees great and are the last of the major airlines who do work on that scale. Lots of the major airlines these days are sending their planes to China for heavy overhaul.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply & also the 'Delta' tip. I was unaware as I am sure most Americans are

Back