What's new
What's new

Rearranging the shop: looking for tips on barfeed alignment

Kadlec10

Plastic
I plan to do some heavy spring cleaning in the shop and would really like to fully rearrange the machine layout. It's currently a hodgepodge of whatever would fit in the available space when we acquired the machines. Moving the mills I get: block the column, pop the machine up on casters, and then re-level to the table once placed. But I'm looking for tips on aligning the barfeeds on the lathes. At least one of them currently sits on a bad section of concrete, so I know I'll have to re-level and align to the spindle bore once in its new home. I'd also like to move my Citizens and that barfeed alignment seems even more important. So clue me in to your secrets: How do you go about dialing in your barfeed after placement. Thanks!

I hold a laser pointer in the collet, pointed back through the barfeed. The pointer is in a sleeve with 4 setscrews at each end to adjiust runout. Put a target cylinder in the barfeed channel. The target has concentric rings cut into the front.

We make a laser for aligning telescopes at my day job. I chuck one and turn on the spindle really slow. check bar feeder up by the machine, then as far away as it will go. Keep goin back and forth until it is right,

If you make a sleeve to hold a laser pointer, put 3 set screws in the front and back. you can dial it in to run concentric alot easier than with 4 screws. Also offset the screws 60 degrees.

Back