What's new
What's new

Rebuilding LZ330

Leon Mertens

Plastic
Hello all.

I'm rebuilding a LZ330 that i bought a while ago.

I'm disassembled almost the whole machine, but i'm stuck on the gearbox.

Some of the gears are worn. I want to replace the gears by new one's but i think they aren't available anymore.

The gearbox is from Ortlinghaus..

A other question is how much cost new headstock bearings? approximately.

Some pictures:

The lathe
pict0259yc8.jpg

The gearbox

pict0249hi2.jpg

The gears with the red cirkel are a little worn.

pict0286ja3.jpg

Did somebody ever replaced the gears by new one.

Thanks

Leon
could you eliminate this gearbox completely and drive direct from the motor to the head. speed could be controlled via an inverter.most modern vsd lathes only contain three gear ratios in the headstock the rest of the speed control is via a pot.A lot of quality lathes adapted the remote gearbox setup to give a very smooth running head. Today with modern inverter drives it can be even quieter. just might be cheaper than getting those gears made

It depends on what you can do your self. The cost of a custom made gear consist of
- making drawings
- material
- lathework
- milling
- hardening
- grinding
maybe you can do the work up to and including the lathework work yourself.
Concerning three helical gears I had an offer for 600 euro for the whole package and 400 euro for only material ,milling, hardening and grinding
the three were two identical and one a little different gear.
These were for a milling machine. with partial v-belt drive an d partly geardrive.
I decided to completely skip the gearbox and go for the VFD version, making a high-low step with the V-belt pullies
The project has not been finished yet. I only collected the vfd and a new motor recently so I can't give you any details.
Arjan

Leon,

for gears look at HPC Gears.

If the weiler gears are 'standard'you may get a reasonable price out of them.

As far as bearings, depending what type they are, you can either go Standard, Sorted or Matched.

Pice will be accordingly and depends on the level of accuracy required.

Regards,

Piet

The LZ330 was a very common lathe and that gearbox looks very similar to other Weiler gear boxes (including the one in my Matador).
I am pretty sure you can buy those gears off the shelf at either Weiler or Ortlinghaus.

Back