What's new
What's new

Recommendation needed for milling machine gearbox viscosity

Elky

Plastic
Hello,

I have a MAS FU 2A milling machine that I am cleaning up and servicing. One of the next jobs on the To-Do list is to flush the gearboxes and put new oil in.

Was not able to find out wich oil is recommended by manufacturer. What came out I can only describe as Mystery Oil. Got a fair suspicion that it was topped up with whatever was on hand.

I'll probably go for MOBIl DTE or Shell Omala S2. These are without a doubt better than anything that was available when the machine was new.

But here is the thing I have no clue to wich viscosity grade should go in. My best guess It's probably within a 68 - 100 - 150 range.

That's why I would like to know what others use in their milling machine Spindle speed Gearbox and power feed gearbox

Thank you in advance, any help or advice is appreciated.

Hi
I went through this saga with my own machines. I went as far as consulting with a tribologist at a major oil company.
You have already said that modern oils are better than anything available when the machine left the factory.

I use either ISO68 or 90 grade non-EP gearbox oil. EP oil contains sulpur and other products that erode brass/bronze type materials.

Dazz

Oil type and viscosity are dependent on what it lubricates. If your gear box also lubes the spindle bearings , then IMO you need something lighter and not a gear oil.
Suggest AW 46 (anti wear hydraulic oil) Has additives to prevent wear on gears, and its light enough to be a good lube for close running spindle bearings....won't affect bronze bushings.

Cheers Ross

Thank you, for the suggestions.

Yep about the mystery oil, I meant it is a mystery what sort of oil it exactly is. It's fairly thick oil that came out.
But the machine also weeps a bit on some covers and shafts. Nothing I can't fix. They probably topped it up with numerous kinds of different oils.

Hey at least it had oil in it and wasn't run dry as far as I know. When I flush it with kerosene I expect to find numerous leaks I intend to fix.

I most likely will go with the MOBIL DTE Heavy Medium or DTE Heavy also got a local supplier near me. That's always handy.

The DTE Heavy Medium is 68 and the DTE Heavy is 100. Can't find any information if the DTE Heavy medium is a non-EP oil or not. The DTE Heavy is advertised as a non-EP oil. Could assume it is the same for it's sibling? Because I think the 68 would be a better fit after seeing the types of oils recommended in above posts

My Google searches did result in suggesting Shell Tellus S2 46 hydraulic oil for some machine gearboxes.

Sadly I haven't found any information from the manufacturer on this machine. My best guess would be to rely on what came out of it which is also unreliable.
The oil that came out was fairly thick, I presume they added thicker oil because of the weeping.

Hmmm, Yeah :confused:

Back