What's new
What's new

Recommendations for a book about technological change early/mid 1900's

Burton LeGeyt

Aluminum
Hi everyone,

We are working through issues of ever changing and improving technology at work, centered primarily on digital platforms and resources and how best to integrate them into a hybrid workforce. I'm looking for a book/article/resource that speaks to a similar situation in regards to physical advancements in manufacturing technology. Preferably one that gets into different company's responses to the rapid change in available machines/methods/tooling leading up to and including the second world war and after. Does something like this exist? Sort of a case study of successful adaption/early adoption?

Thanks for any resources you can point me towards.

rustyironism

Cast Iron
An enjoyable and informative read for me was

Yankee Enterprise
The Rise of the American System of Manufactures
Otto Mayr and Robert C. Post editors
Smithsonian Institution Press

Now that I've pulled it out, I'll have to read it again.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_4308.jpg
    IMG_4308.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4309.jpg
    IMG_4309.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4310.jpg
    IMG_4310.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4311.jpg
    IMG_4311.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4312.jpg
    IMG_4312.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 17

standardparts

Diamond

"From the American System to Mass Production, 1800-1932: The Development of Manufacturing Technology in the United States (Studies in Industry and Society)​

Hounshell, Professor David" ISBN 13: 9780801829758​

"Covers the transition from hand built/fitted to interchangeable parts.......
drawing upon the extensive business and manufacturing records of leading American firms...including Singer Manufacturing, McCormick Harvesting Machinery Co., Brown & Share Manufacturing, Pope Manufacturing, and Ford Motor Com...that the diffusion of arms production technology was neither as fast nor as smooth as has been assumed. Both the expression 'mass production' and the technology was that lay behind it were developments of the 20th C, attributable in large part to the Ford Motor Co."

It's not hard to find. Even available as a free PDF.