What's new
What's new

Refurbish Craftsman/ Atlas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Zaw

Plastic
I’m considering buying a Craftsman/Atlas small bench lathe to recondition/refurbish.
My question is, would I be happier buying a new mini Micro Lux lathe from Micro Marc or search out a bargain Atlas/ Craftsman?
I’ll appreciate any advice or comments from a user who already did this.as well from more experienced machinists.

I’m considering buying a Craftsman/Atlas small bench lathe to recondition/refurbish.
My question is, would I be happier buying a new mini Micro Lux lathe from Micro Marc or search out a bargain Atlas/ Craftsman?
I’ll appreciate any advice or comments from a user who already did this.as well from more experienced machinists.
Micro mini lathe anything is cheap china junk and not worth your time and money. Atlas is junk as well. Both topics are prohibited here as they are so bad. If you are going to search get a South Bend, Logan or LeBlond, then you will have something worth your time.

You did not read the rules, expect your post to be locked soon. There are other forums more welcoming to that machine.

Without knowing which Atlas model you are looking at, its hard to say, there were better and worse models, but even the worst are probably better than a minilathe.

Edit: looked up the website, its a generic chinese pos sold under many names

What these people are trying to tell you goes way beyond the name. I owned a 12" Atlas many decades ago because it was the only thing I could find in the machinery desert where I live. In short, it will take you all day to do nothing, and when you're done the result won't be what you want. It might be useful for making small bronze bushings, but that's about it.

As much as I hate Chinese junk a new "higher end" Chinese or ideally Taiwanese made lathe with a cam lock spindle etc will be much better than a beat to hell American made hobby machine like an Atlas. I wouldn't bother with Emco either as they are over priced and really not very good. Sure a pristine vintage toolroom lathe (Monarch, Hardinge etc) will be better than a new Chinese machine but that is not a fair comparison and most of those used machines need a full rebuild anyway. (and that rebuild will cost you as much as a new Taiwanese machine just for way re-grinding)

My recommendation for someone starting out is to get a Schaublin 102 or other Swiss clone with a W20 headstock. They are easy to move, easy to power, super accurate, and simply a pleasure to use. Most hobbyists don't cut big threads or turn long parts anyway and a 102 pairs really nicely with a larger screw cutting lathe after you have more experience.

There is no point in cheap new machine tools as if you can't afford at least the best of the Chinese stuff, that will mean you also can't get the needed tooling, consumables etc. A set of collets and a couple chucks etc will cost you more than a cheap new machine never mind things like tool holders. Waiting until you can find a good used professional lathe with a bunch of tooling is ideal, otherwise prioritizing the project and finding the funds to do it properly makes much more sense than cheap bottom of the barrel machines which are just depressing to use.

Thank you makes sense. Only thing is I live in Wilmington De. Quite awhile ago there was a machinist show in York Pa. That had such machines I suspect. But not looking for a lathe at the time I just don’t remember. So the question is where do suggest I look or go to availability. I liked your comment on the precision of the Swiss lathe. I will owe it in my HO brass model train repairs.
What’s your suggestion?
Thanks
Joe

For such small light parts, a small south bend or Logan lathe would suit your needs well, even a slightly worn model will work better than any Chinese model ( bad experience been had) look for one with a quick change gear box, calculating gears for threading and feeds isn't much fun for beginners.
These machines are fairly common on many online marketplaces as long as you can drive a couple hundred miles for pickup.

Thank you makes sense. Only thing is I live in Wilmington De. Quite awhile ago there was a machinist show in York Pa. That had such machines I suspect. But not looking for a lathe at the time I just don’t remember. So the question is where do suggest I look or go to availability. I liked your comment on the precision of the Swiss lathe. I will owe it in my HO brass model train repairs.
What’s your suggestion?
Thanks
Joe
Ebay, craigslist, FB, all the usual places. Work the line "I'm looking for a metal lathe" into every conversation, they really are quite common, should take about 30 days max, if you are serious about wanting one. Be ready to jump when you find a deal.

What’s your suggestion?
Thanks
Joe
If all you are working on is model train repairs there might be a third choice and that is the USA made Sh*****e lathe which while small is much more usable than one of those Asian junk machines. They sell basic packages which include enough tooling to get started and tooling is dirt cheap compared to full size lathes. If you want to go bigger later that would give you time to find a decent used lathe.

I didn't spell the full name of the brand because it also is forbidden to discuss as a brand made for hobbyists.

Last edited:
Not too far away
QC logan with 3 +4 jaw. + for around $1.000.
Those old Logan's were nice lathes, I would take one over a South Bend and parts are still available. 3 and 4 jaw chucks, face plates and an Aloris tool post and holders make it a good deal.

Last edited:
Buying a machine from a guy who has used can be a great asset. Asking Is there anything wrong with this machine? saves a lot of bad surprises.

A machine flipper cant answer that question.
A used machine may not be dead on accurate but often you can do almost anything with skill and a piece of crocus cloth.

Last edited:
For small work there is also Taig in the US which is a bit more robust than the other American producer of tiny lathes. I had one briefly before moving to Europe and for the money they are a good value, just really light weight. With those machines you can use collets in the spindle, (I think they have a 5C collet spindle now but perhaps only for CNC) but at least you won't be fighting with worn out bearings, slides etc. They are no match for a Schaublin etc but they are cheap, available, and easy to ship which can be more important. There are also some Hardinge lathes in the sprit of the Schaublin 102 (without lead screws) which might be easier to find and use 5C collets which are much easier to find.

The fundamental issue with the Atlas, emco, myford or Chinese machines etc is that they tried to do everything on a super low budget, it would have been much better if they focused just on the minimal viable function list and forgot about all the details that are not strictly needed in the home shop. Emco and the copies with the added on "mill" is particularly bad. If you want a full featured professional machine it will come at a much higher cost and weight or it will be full of compromises. This is why I think Taig is a better idea, I wish they were a bit larger and heavier but the idea behind them is sound. Also the tooling costs are super low compared to Swiss stuff.

For small work there is also Taig in the US which is a bit more robust than the other American producer of tiny lathes. I had one briefly before moving to Europe and for the money they are a good value, just really light weight. With those machines you can use collets in the spindle, (I think they have a 5C collet spindle now but perhaps only for CNC) but at least you won't be fighting with worn out bearings, slides etc. They are no match for a Schaublin etc but they are cheap, available, and easy to ship which can be more important. There are also some Hardinge lathes in the sprit of the Schaublin 102 (without lead screws) which might be easier to find and use 5C collets which are much easier to find.

The fundamental issue with the Atlas, emco, myford or Chinese machines etc is that they tried to do everything on a super low budget, it would have been much better if they focused just on the minimal viable function list and forgot about all the details that are not strictly needed in the home shop. Emco and the copies with the added on "mill" is particularly bad. If you want a full featured professional machine it will come at a much higher cost and weight or it will be full of compromises. This is why I think Taig is a better idea, I wish they were a bit larger and heavier but the idea behind them is sound. Also the tooling costs are super low compared to Swiss stuff.
The lack of a leadscrew limits their threading abilities compared to the other brand. Regarding the T***, something I still regret was passing up a used one for $150 packed in a steel tool box with lots of accessories including a milling attachment. Would have been great to throw in a car trunk for small stuff when away from the shop. With some scrounging and a bit of ingenuity one of these could easily become a "tool box workshop" similar to the original Unimat, capable of sawing, jointing, sanding and buffing in addition to it's lathe function. Great for vacation or helping friends with small projects.

Emco =/= Enco. Emco Maier is a well-respected austrian company. Atlas/Myford, same thing. Atlas less pricey, better than microlathes.

I had one. $100 off the back of a truck. I have a 9" SB. Much better. The gears on the Atlas are zinc and very brittle. Be patient. A good deal will come up. Jet, SB etc. A newer Asian lathe is better than a clapped out old American.

Why is this discussion even taking place ?
From Milacron:
"Also not allowed for discussions on PM now-
*Atlas/ Craftsman/Dunlap products - anywhere"

The moderator needs to completely delete this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back