What's new
What's new

Refurbishing a couple of HLV-EM lathes...

CaryC

Aluminum
I'm Making slow but good progress. Due to the size of my garage and the amount of stuff loaded in there, only a small amount can be worked on at a time.

I decided that oil based Urethane Enamel would give me the best long term durability. The paint is extremely close to the factory color so I am really happy with how it looks against some of the internal areas that I did not repaint. I was originally going to brush or roll the paint due to the simplicity, but I could not get the finish I was looking for, so I decided to spray the paint. It looks 100x better than my rolling samples.

20210904_113506.jpg

20210904_113517.jpg

20210909_105914.jpg

20210909_105933.jpg

CaryC

Aluminum
It's been a while since I posted, but it's done!

Here is the video:

I have TONS of pics also!

I am selling this one so I can clear room and $ to start the second one, let me know if you are interested!

jariou

Cast Iron
I'm interested but so must the rest of us over here!

Where are you again? And what are you asking for it?

Jacques

IHateMayonnaise

Aluminum
Great job!

What PPE did you use for the paint you used, and what flavor of Urethane Enamel did you employ? I'm terrified of the stuff -- everything I've read says to use a separate oxygen supply. I'm inclined to pay someone to do the job for me, but am having a hard time finding someone who paints things that aren't cars.

FWIW, the actual default paint that Hardinge uses on their HLV-H's (when they still made them) was Sherwin-Williams F63JXA3366-4366 in 7B Gray. The last 4 digits is the store code. It took me a bit to track this down, but the folks at store 4366 and the Hardinge parts shop were surprisingly helpful.

car2

Stainless
Sidenote, the carriage is easily removed intact, and installed, off of the end of the bed after removing the speed-control box housing, right bracket holding the leadscrew, and removing the gib; removal is manageable with one person with the aid of a support near/parallel to the bed, easy with two people. As mentioned, remove cross-slide and compound to reduce weight. The leadscrew can also be removed on the left end (via the taper-pin), or just supported during carriage removal.

I have a couple of factory accessories that had a teal color factory paint. Cheers