What's new
What's new

Rehiring an employee who quit?

of course with Col....it was cash in hand .........anyhoo ,I got 15 years out of them,won a battle with the council ,and last year sold out to some Afgans.....I gave them the containers....first thing they did was busted the floors driving heavy forklifts into them............last week I see they are gone,didnt ask ,dont care......I also gave the Afgans the old Harman crane ..........shame really,as they will scrap it..........Im too old for old cranes now,too old for a lot of things.

When I was an employee, if I wasn't being challenged by the work or learning anything new at my job, I would start looking for new a new job. I was and am still willing to work 24 hours a day to get a job done, but if I needed to take one of my kids to an appointment or to one of their activities, or if they were sick, I would expect the same flexibility in the schedule as I gave them. I was willing to work whenever needed and for as long as needed, the odd time I needed some flexibility it better be reciprocated. I would stay late to make sure jobs got done before I took the time off, or I would catch back up afterwards. Of course I would ask with as much notice as possible.

I had some great bosses who understood how I worked and I made them a lot of money, I had others where it just didn't work out and they lost a good worker.

When I was an employee, if I wasn't being challenged by the work or learning anything new at my job, I would start looking for new a new job. I was and am still willing to work 24 hours a day to get a job done, but if I needed to take one of my kids to an appointment or to one of their activities, or if they were sick, I would expect the same flexibility in the schedule as I gave them. I was willing to work whenever needed and for as long as needed, the odd time I needed some flexibility it better be reciprocated. I would stay late to make sure jobs got done before I took the time off, or I would catch back up afterwards. Of course I would ask with as much notice as possible.

I had some great bosses who understood how I worked and I made them a lot of money, I had others where it just didn't work out and they lost a good worker.
I allowed flexible work schedules when I was an OEM and had employees, but the way things were set up it was easy to pull off. Sometimes it just is efficient to operate in that manner.

The interesting thing about this tread is the way in which many shop owners think that being the owner allows them to be a bad manager. As a manager you need to manage your people and those people being bad at the job or having a bad attitude or leaving is often more a reflection on you as an owner / manager than the person who is walking. Good managers make good teams and environments, good employees are built not bought ... don't believe me get the worlds best employee and treat him like shit and see what happens :)

The interesting thing about this tread is the way in which many shop owners think that being the owner allows them to be a bad manager. As a manager you need to manage your people and those people being bad at the job or having a bad attitude or leaving is often more a reflection on you as an owner / manager than the person who is walking. Good managers make good teams and environments, good employees are built not bought ... don't believe me get the worlds best employee and treat him like shit and see what happens :)

A bad employee is like a cancer, it can spread and ruin the whole team.

Correction. People quit managers/bosses not jobs.
That's true as well. But I have worked with some very negative people, that destroyed the work environment, could be the fault of management for not shutting that down.

A bad employee is like a cancer, it can spread and ruin the whole team.
You are correct and the use of the word CAN is spot on. if there is a good manager the can should never become a has so the issue is an indicator to a process that needs to happen and if it does happen then it is an indicator of a process that didn't.

Back