What's new
What's new

Remington Mdl 16 to 22LR

animal12

Cast Iron
I have a old Remington Mdl 16 that I bought for my wife a long time ago . At the time I thought it was just another 22 Lr rifle . Well I found out way back that the gum was made to shoot Remington 22 ammo & nothing else which I'm sure helped teh guns demise . Well I dug it out a while back & wondering you folk's thoughts on sleeving the barrel with a 22LR sleeve & having the chamber cut for 22 LR . I did shoot some 22 LR through it ways back & it fed & ejected ok but that's when I noticed the cases bulged some & that's when I parked the rifle . I would like to make it a shooter , I'm not a big fan of wall hangers .
any thoughts ?
thanks
animal

1yesca

Stainless
i had one about 40 years ago the extractor was missing i feed some 22 lr wildcat win. ammo in it . it would feed and fire and even with

out the extractor it would eject the case but being it was high speed ammo the case was split so after a few times i just got rid of it

more then likely it would work better with std vlo. ammo . both Remington and Winchester went down the 22 auto road Remington with there

22 auto and Winchester with there's 22 auto for there mod 03 the story goes that the 22 ammo of the day was all over the place as far as

loading goes and that some would not cycle the gun so they both came up with there own 22 auto rounds

4575wcf

Aluminum
I have a very early version of this rifle with a rather poor bore. I bought it at the same time my Winchester collecting buddy bought the 1903 Winchester equivalent, sort of starting a race to see who could come up with a shooter first. My plan then was to make up some simple reloading dies to pull the .22 magnum bullet, dump an appropriate amount of the powder, shorten the case to match the Remington auto case, reload the bullet, and crimp. Of course that was in the days of available ammo and components when a fellow could experiment without breaking the bank. As I understand the situation, Winchester and Remington wished to prevent the use of black powder .22 ammo in their autoloaders, which apparently was still pretty prevalent at the time of intro.

animal12

Cast Iron
That was my original plan . Install liner in barrel & then have chamber cut . Is there anything else I'm missing ?
thanks
animal

GGaskill

Titanium
Although you say you have successfully fired .22 LR in the rifle, you may need to change recoil springs for best function.

animal12

Cast Iron
John K , you mentioned that liners can be had already chambered ? I guess my next question is , who is a good source for liners , chambered or not ?
thanks
animal