What's new
What's new

Removing "smeared" aluminum from CNC mill window.

Machinerer

Cast Iron
I'm doing some pretty heavy aluminum roughing on an HMC. The chips blasting the window has caused the aluminum to kind of smear, or gall on the window. I thought it was getting scratched, or frosted at first, but it's definitely built up aluminum.

Any suggestions for removing this? I've tried scotch brite, and simichrome, which did have an effect, but it would take forever to get the job done.

Is your window layered with safety glass on the inside and plexiglass on the outside, or all plexiglass?

If it's safety glass on the inside, you can go more aggressive with solvents. Acetone would be worth a shot.

Not helpful at the moment, but once you got it clean again: all the cool kids are putting Tesla screen protectors on the inside... They are reasonably cheap, glass and have an oleophobic coating on them...

Aluminum reacts with both strong bases such as sodium hydroxide (lye) and with strong acids such as hydrochloric (muriatic) acid. Organic solvents like acetone, mek, etc., are less effective against metals and more likely to attack other organic substances like paint, plastics, etc.

Is your window layered with safety glass on the inside and plexiglass on the outside, or all plexiglass?

If it's safety glass on the inside, you can go more aggressive with solvents. Acetone would be worth a shot.
I believe its 2 panes of real glass. Inside is definitely glass.
A soft cloth with a little Brasso cleaner works good on glass and plastic.
I think I have Brasso at home, I'll give that a shot.
Not helpful at the moment, but once you got it clean again: all the cool kids are putting Tesla screen protectors on the inside... They are reasonably cheap, glass and have an oleophobic coating on them...
That's interesting. Is it the tempered glass ones, or plastic ones? I can't imagine either holding up when getting pelted with chips.

Aluminum reacts with both strong bases such as sodium hydroxide (lye) and with strong acids such as hydrochloric (muriatic) acid. Organic solvents like acetone, mek, etc., are less effective against metals and more likely to attack other organic substances like paint, plastics, etc.
And both of those would be safe for the glass? (Lye and MA?)

We have used pumice stones with varying degrees of success. It still takes ages and you have to do it in a way that you aren't scratching the glass, but it is possible. I've been wanting to try steel wool but have never had any on hand when I'm cleaning that stuff off. Maybe pumice stone for "rough" cleaning and then steel wool once a good bit is off for a "finish". Service techs have told me steel wool is the preferred method.

Tried Vanisol (High Acid Toilet Bowl Cleaner) since I know it'll clean aluminum out of the flutes of a cutting tool. It didn't seem to work, but I was also afraid to let it sit for any length of time, on a fairly new $1M machine. I'll try the steel wool tomorrow. I use that on my car windows, and have some at home. Didn't even think of that.

Back