What's new
What's new

Repair fireplace tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbn

Plastic
Hi everyone, I'm not too familiar with most metal components, however, I ran into a problem when I accidently broke my fireplace tool. I took a picture and I would like some advice.

First, what would be composition of this metal be? I think it's iron. Not sure if there is a metal litmus test.

What would be the most effective method to fix this tool?

This is the tool snapped in haldf.
3tHx0fbK_o.jpg

Thanks.

That's QCI (Questionable cast iron) impossible to be sure of the true composition without analysis. That said, brazing is probably your best option using an acetylene and oxygen torch. Pre heat a long ways both ways from the break before going red hot and cool it as slowly as possible. Use the torch during the first few minutes of cooling to slow the cooling process. Bury in warm dry ashes if possible immediately following torch shutdown.

Hi everyone, I'm not too familiar with most metal components, however, I ran into a problem when I accidently broke my fireplace tool. I took a picture and I would like some advice.

First, what would be composition of this metal be? I think it's iron. Not sure if there is a metal litmus test.

What would be the most effective method to fix this tool?

This is the tool snapped in haldf.
3tHx0fbK_o.jpg

Thanks.
I'm sure there is a blacksmithing forum that could better help you.

Its probably been heated red hot in the fire ,which damages the iron ......and likely poor cast iron in the first place.........brazing will likely need some scaling powder as well as the normal borax flux .....also beware of grinding as the smeared graphite will retard wetting.,and the braze may refuse to flash at all.

Not worth brazing for a questionable repair given your skill set. I would sleeve it with a piece of iron pipe. Or forge a new one from any decent iron. Even rebar would be better then cast iron.
BilLD

Repair it by making a cylinder of brass or copper.

2" long.
ID = OD of broken pieces
OD = .050 or greater.

Insert both halves into opposite ends. Paint black.

What is the tool? Tongs, rake, poker, broom...? Brazing or Nirod from very limited information. Repair to work again (sleeve or splint showing) or repair to work and not look repaired?
Where is break? Towards handle or bizzness end? Did it just break while looking at it or was a cheater bar and all Imphal used to move a log?

That break is old, no fresh metal even on edge. Are you trying to resell a found object?

Smartest man I ever knew made a fortune building fireplace tools out of wood. Beautifully made, lovely to look at. But by doing using wood - a combustible material - he guaranteed himself a steady stream of aftermarket business, and we all know aftermarket sales are where companies make the most profit. Today, that man is running a huge cell phone company name after a fruit which similalry produce crap that fails way too soon and is programmed to go downhill.

I just fixed the shovel of my fireplace set. The angle connection between the steel handle shaft and the sheet metal shovel was a piece of cast crap pot metal which broke. I made a replacement from steel and welded everything together. No way I was going to try welding that cast piece back together. In your case I would machine a steel sleeve on the lathe and braise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back