What's new
What's new

Replacement brushes for Siemens Servo Tacho

rimcanyon

Diamond
I need a pair of brushes for the Z axis tachometer on my FP2NC. My motor repair shop was no help, said he had never seen brushes like that before. I guess they aren't used on agricultural motors ;<) I know I could order from FPS and wait a couple weeks to get them but is there a source for the parts here in the USA? Anyone have a part number? The brushes are 4x5x10mm.

IMG_1270.jpeg

Last edited:
Can you tell me what the Bosch part number on the tacho is? I have a spare Bosch tacho I purchased off Ebay a few years ago.

Still have not located a siemens parts reseller I could order them from. I sent Singer an email, but isn’t Siemens a common enough brand in the US to support a presence here? Surprising.

The brushes are 4x5x10mm. I found some 4x5x20mm brushes on ebay (used in various sewing machines) and they are on the way. I’ll have a bunch of spares, so if anyone needs some shoot me a PM.

Ross, yes I could take the spare machine apart, but I have an aversion to taking things apart and letting them sit, even if it is only a few weeks. If I was making real money with this machine and could not afford downtime, it would be different. As is, I just am seeing it as an opportunity to fix a few other things on the machine while it is down. I spent the a.m. today repairing the sliding doors on the enclosure and touching up the enclosure paint. I was surprised to find that the linear bearings used for the doors are 12mm on my machine and ½” on the spare machine. Maybe the spare machine had its doors upgraded at some point; I can’t imagine Deckel would have sourced imperial dimensioned goods for their new machines.

I had always thought the sliders on the spare machine were home-made by Specialty Silicone Fabricators, since the handles seemed DIY, and the back panels were certainly DIY.

Call me a worry wort, but not all brushes are the same.
Compounds of the carbon vary depending on the applicayion.
I would want the real item, not hard or expensive enough to screw around with “maybe”
And it’s not like you are dismantling the machine. It’s 4 slotted screws and the cover comes right off. Use the ones from the X orY so nothing really to take apart. .
Cheers Ross

Call me a worry wort, but not all brushes are the same.
Compounds of the carbon vary depending on the applicayion.
I would want the real item, not hard or expensive enough to screw around with “maybe”
And it’s not like you are dismantling the machine. It’s 4 slotted screws and the cover comes right off. Use the ones from the X orY so nothing really to take apart. .
Cheers Ross
for high current applications there certainly is a difference, but that isn't really the case here with tacho

Perhaps ,but the tacho is important in the performance is the servo.
Wouldn’t want to have a brush that might increase the need to clean or increased wear on the tacho.
Getting to the Z tacho is a bit of a chore.
Acquiring brushes that replicate the original “engineered” part seems prudent to me.
After all it is not like there is no source here, or his machine is down in the middle of a high priority job.

Cheers Ross

I have two brushes from the same tacho. I'd prefer to keep these as spares but if you're in a bind I can let them go. I bought a spare servo off Ebay years ago and grabbed this off in case my tachos started acting up.
tacho.PNG

I have two brushes from the same tacho. I'd prefer to keep these as spares but if you're in a bind I can let them go. I bought a spare servo off Ebay years ago and grabbed this off in case my tachos started acting up.
View attachment 385584
Bug, thanks for the offer, but I have a parts machine so no need to rob yours. I haven't heard back from Singer about the availability of replacement brushes, but I think I can repair the originals. Drilling out the crimp fitting then making a new one from a piece of small copper tubing and pressing it in place seems like it would work, and would allow me to keep the original brush. If that doesn't work I can solder some replacements of unknown progeny to the holder.

Back