What's new
What's new

Replacement for Barnes No. 5 Tool Post Rocker Parts?

Archilochus

Plastic
Recently picked up a Barnes No. 5 lathe. Almost complete, with all the velocipede drive intact. Just missing the "X" faceplate (dog drive?), travel rest and the tool post rocker parts (has the post itself). I'm guessing the previous owner has the parts, but his garage was so jam-packed with stuff, would have taken days to try and sort through it. Since the lathe was free, I didn't want to bug the guy to look for the missing parts.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of rocker parts (the dished 'washer' and the curved shim) from some other, more common, lathe that might work? I checked the ones off my South Bend 9, but they're far too small.

Will post up some pictures once I get it re-assembled. It's currently in pieces.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Now you have the lathe ...bug the guy..........I left parts on the floor of a machine I got ,pick them up next week ......next week he s not very well .....week later he s dead .........never got the parts.

It was quite a drive to pick it up. If I'm in the area again, I'll likely ask him to look around. In the meantime, I'd like to try the lathe out. Suppose I could just use a bunch of shims. From pictures I've seen, the rocker base is pretty thick.

A small south bend toolpost can be adapted to the Barnes slots in the mount. IIRC, the slots are a standard "T-slot" and the standard T-nut (fine thread) gives you the start for mounting the SB parts.

Once in a great while you see Barnes parts on Ebay. I was fortunate to eventually find a Barnes elevating tool post for my No. 5. I think of the two I like the SB version as its more what I'm familiar with. The Barnes may be "solider" (Is that a word?)

Joe in NH

I had a No.13 Barnes lathe I parted out and it had No. 5 cast into the base, so parts from it may have fit your lathe also. I think I got rid of the tool post parts along with the compound slide, but I'll look around. I also have some tool post parts from other lathes here, so post your tool post diameter and slot width and maybe a dished washer and curved shim I have here will fit your tool post.

Irby

I had a No.13 Barnes lathe I parted out and it had No. 5 cast into the base, so parts from it may have fit your lathe also. I think I got rid of the tool post parts along with the compound slide, but I'll look around. I also have some tool post parts from other lathes here, so post your tool post diameter and slot width and maybe a dished washer and curved shim I have here will fit your tool post.

Irby

If you come across anything that might fit, please let me know. Thanks!
Here's the measurements from the toolpost:
1.050" diameter
slot is .455" x 1.970"

In the box of parts, I found a stack of washers that fit over the toolpost. That suggests that the rocker parts have been missing for a while.

Got the old iron cleaned up a bit, re-assembled, and oiled. Runs smooth & fast. Surprised at how fast it can get going!
Looks like the change gears are all there - 13 gears, 11 sizes (2x 16's), plus the big 104. Found out it's missing the seat post, but that will be easy to make. The large size back gear has been repaired several times. I'm guessing it was repeatedly broken by using the back gears to lock the spindle in order to remove the chuck. Works fine though.
The lathe appears to have not seen a lot of use, but the use it did get was hard. There must have been a clumsy, inexperienced owner at some point, as there are lots of dings, and heavy gouges from the chuck jaws hitting the cross slide.

It's also missing the plate with the threading gear chart. If anyone has a clear picture of the plate, I'd love to see it!
lathe-1.JPG

Last edited:
If you come across anything that might fit, please let me know. Thanks!
Here's the measurements from the toolpost:
1.050" diameter
slot is .455" x 1.970"

In the box of parts, I found a stack of washers that fit over the toolpost. That suggests that the rocker parts have been missing for a while.

Got the old iron cleaned up a bit, re-assembled, and oiled. Runs smooth & fast. Surprised at how fast it can get going!
Looks like the change gears are all there - 13 gears, 11 sizes (2x 16's), plus the big 104. Found out it's missing the seat post, but that will be easy to make. The large size back gear has been repaired several times. I'm guessing it was repeatedly broken by using the back gears to lock the spindle in order to remove the chuck. Works fine though.
The lathe appears to have not seen a lot of use, but the use it did get was hard. There must have been a clumsy, inexperienced owner at some point, as there are lots of dings, and heavy gouges from the chuck jaws hitting the cross slide.

It's also missing the plate with the threading gear chart. If anyone has a clear picture of the plate, I'd love to see it!
View attachment 412920

I'll look for some tool post parts.

Count the TPI (threads per inch) of your lead screw. If it's 4 TPI, the same as my No. 13 lathe, then the threading chart from my lathe will work.

If no one posts the chart from a No. 5 lathe, then I'll post the chart from my No. 13. It required the following gears: 16, 20, 24, 28, 32, 32, 36, 40, 44, 46, 48, 52, 60, 64, 104. But since it requires two 32's and not two 16's as yours does, I guess the lead screw must be different.

Irby

A lathe should be able to make a rocker washer PDQ.

Yep! And the curved shim also. :)

Here's what I found. They are close to the dimensions of the tool post he has, but would need a little machining to fit and to make the shim match the washer. All easy on a lathe. :) These parts weren't originally together, BTW, that's why they don't match up.

tool post 2 resized.jpg

Irby

I wouldn't get too excited about getting the rocker etc, anyhow, except to have with the old machine. A lot of folks have flipped the washer flat side up, and use the toolholder on that.... maybe with another thinner washer to make up the height.

Much more solid, stays on center unless you swap the cutters out, and generally less of a hassle overall. That's assuming you are not doing a David Richards setup ( https://www.youtube.com/@davidrichards5594/videos ) and also don't want a newer type of toolpost.

Replied to PM - Thanks!

Those David Richards videos will keep me entertained for a while! :-)

I tend to use the rocker on my old South Bend 9 pretty regularly - so figured I'd probably use it on this old lathe too - assuming I don't have a heart attack from all the pedaling! Have to start looking around for an 'apprentice'.

Replied to PM - Thanks!

Those David Richards videos will keep me entertained for a while! :-)

I tend to use the rocker on my old South Bend 9 pretty regularly - so figured I'd probably use it on this old lathe too - assuming I don't have a heart attack from all the pedaling! Have to start looking around for an 'apprentice'.

I have a nice QC tool holder on my 1920's Hardinge Cataract toolroom lathe, but haul out the rocker once in a while if I have an awkward place to reach. :)

And speaking of David Richards videos...I love the old line shaft powered machines! ...and metal planers! :)
The closest I can come in my garage is the way my Cataract is run -
IMG_0334_1.JPG
and my 1910 Schneider & Goosmann planer! (The mid 1850's Flagg/Pond/Chamberlain planer in the photo above is no longer here).
1910 planer.jpg

Irby

Back