What's new
What's new

Replacement surface grinder

amosfella

Plastic
To make a long and boring story short, I'm looking for something that would be an equivalent new machine replacement to a Grand Rapids 380 10"x30" surface grinder.
There was a fire in the shop the machine was in, and the insurance company's contractors damaged the machine while moving. The machine was hardly used, and all scraping was still visible. Machine repair guy said it's scrap and will never hold tolerance. (for insurance purposes)
So, what are some new machines what would be about equivalent in quality, precision, and size? Size goes up and not down.

Brown and Sharpe, Covel, Thomson, Parker Majestic, Taft Pierce, Norton, Jones and Shipman, Boyer Shultz, Gallmeyer and Livingstone to name a few. Don't know if each brand will have that size, but they all come from that era. New machines Okamoto, Acer, Chevalier, Sharp, Mitsui, Reid, Elb. Does Jones and Shipman still make grinders?

Attach some photos as the rebuilder might be full of it. Also All world machinery in a town just North of Rockford IL sells used and rebuild Okamoto Grinders. Look at the top of the Forums stickies in the Machine Rebuilding forum. Waymint is a great rebuilder. You could email the pics to me. [email protected]

Attach some photos as the rebuilder might be full of it. Also All world machinery in a town just North of Rockford IL sells used and rebuild Okamoto Grinders. Look at the top of the Forums stickies in the Machine Rebuilding forum. Waymint is a great rebuilder. You could email the pics to me. [email protected]
There are broken castings and insurance companies possibly paying involved. Insurance doesn't want to ship cross boarder.

So, I'm looking for an equivalent new machine to get a quote from inside Canada for insurance. If they pay me out, what I do with the cash after is my business.

I just Googled and searched Machinetools.com
and searched "used surface grinder in Canada" and several names came up. Give that a try
I've been talking to some of them. Just been trying to get an equivalent machine to get a quote from. All the sales guys have an opinion, but I'd rather hear what is what from guys that use them.

This was bought from a military prototyping shop. So, it's practically brand new.

Looking for a new quote. With insurance here with the replace with like kind and quality or better rider, I'm trying to make sure that I get like kind and quality. One can get a low used quote, and when insurance pays you out and the machine is sold, you're up the creek without a paddle in a leaking canoe.

Tos looks like an old school heavy grinder, i suspect it is a very good machine but never had my hands on one.

If that G&L only has 90 hours on it since it was rebuilt, it might be a good choice. At 8000 lbs make sure you have a solid floor to put it on.

I have a Grand Rapids (G&L) 460 14"x24"x14" that I will need to sell in the next year. It spent its life at NAS Jax since new in 1970.I have all the manuals and the the Bill of Sale. It still has all the scraping visible so I don't know if it was rescraped or just had little use.NAS Jax certainly has the equipment and expertise to rebuild them. I bought it in 95?.
It had a lot of small things that needed fixing. I rebuilt the cylinders with chrome rods.It had unplated rods which I found strange so maybe they had been changed from new? It has incremental DF and over head dresser.I really havn't used it much and have a few new wheels.
Every thing works. Looking for $2,500.

Attachments

• 20200323_112625.jpg
    20200323_112625.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 11
A Grand Rapids (G&L) 460 14"x24"x14" in near mint would be hard to beat for any price, great deal here.
Finding a better machine would be near impossible.
The Navy paid over 70K for it in 1970. So they definately were not a cheepie. The table will actually travel 30" but I suppose the extra 3" on either end is for cross feed time.
I'll turn 80 this year and I'm probably going to retire at the end of the year and it is just big for my home shop.

Back