What's new
What's new

Replacing way cover wipers on Daewoo 3016

cgrim3

Cast Iron
Hi all,

We are looking to replace the way cover wipers on our Daewoo 3016 mill. NOT the way wipers, but the way cover wipers. The wipers on the accordion covers.

We have been having a helluva time finding them. They are not listed in the bill of materials for the machine and aren't shown in the exploded parts view of the machine in the manual. Perhaps I am not looking hard enough? And I know for a fact Ellison Technologies would charge a small fortune for them. I called and asked about them, and the person on the other line seemed to be clueless.

We have never replaced them but have heard it's a bitch. Is this true? Does anybody know where we could buy them for a reasonable price? My gut feeling is they won't sell them to you unless you buy the entire accordion way cover assembly but am not entirely sure.

Has anybody replaced theirs before? How was it? Any pointers or nuggets of wisdom to share?

The little rubber strips?
Take a cover off and take a good sectional picture of it and the steel holder, Metal in Motion stocks the common shapes. Also you may want to replace the rubber H shaped bumpers between sections and plastic sliders on the ways.

They're expensive, but you could try Henning, I think they're the ones who made them. Really tho, you're better off paying the piper at Ellison.

I've been down this road a couple times. I hate to say it, but Mr. Rizzo is pretty much conveying the cold hard truth.

I did tons of research, and even had this local sales guy in two different times for two different Mori's. Great guy. He brought with him just about every profile sample a guy could ask for. He'd send me pricing soon after, and both times the costs were so close to factory that it wasn't worth it. Especially considering that you're going to need to size them, cut them, drill holes in them, and the list of work goes on, even before starting to pinch or screw them in. My point is, I feel bad for wasting the guys time... twice, and not buying a thing from him. Well, I did send in one Y axis cover for a complete repair/rebuild thru his channels. Something.

If you must, Google "way wipers" or "telescoping" this or that. You can spend a day or two searching and measuring profiles. But really there's a great chance of your time being all for not.

It's sort of like the way wiper/cover industry has it all figured out. You're going to pay no matter what.

Yeah it's looking like we may need to buy them through ellison. What our tech said you really want to do is find out who makes them for ellison and buy the way cover wipers from them. Hennig made them for Daewoo back in the day? Does anybody know who made/makes them for Doosan/Daewoo?

Yeah it's looking like we may need to buy them through ellison. What our tech said you really want to do is find out who makes them for ellison and buy the way cover wipers from them. Hennig made them for Daewoo back in the day? Does anybody know who made/makes them for Doosan/Daewoo?

The replacements are still made by Hennig. Not sure who does it for the factory installs.

Got a quote from Ellison...1100 dollars for all the way cover wipers. Freaking ridiculous. I am getting the drawings for them too and will send the drawings to the aftermarket people and will see what they can come up with. If I can't find anything I will have to buy from Ellison.

I appreciate everybody's help

Got a quote from Ellison...1100 dollars for all the way cover wipers. Freaking ridiculous. ...

Ha-ha... you sound like the rest of us. Yes it's ridiculous, but the aftermarkets will likely turn out to be equally so. That's what we've been saying.

I did get lucky a couple decades ago on a late 90's YCI Supermax rebuild with Henning covers. They still make this seal I believe. It is a "C" type? if I remember. (Don't quote me) These were welded on metal extrusions that were a profile that held the replaceable wipers. They even offered them in three materials depending on what type of coolant and materials being cut. If yours are this type you may be in luck. I ordered the seal in one continuous strip and fitted to suit.

Anyway... good luck trying to make what is expensive to be not so much so. I'taint easy.

Anybody have experience with buww wipers and covers? They were recommended to me but I don't remember who recommended them. That is another aftermarket company. I will most likely use Ellison but I am going to explore all the options.

Post a picture of the profile with dimensions.

I may have what you need. I have most, but not all styles of way cover seals.

1-1.jpg2 (1)-1.jpg3 (1)-1.jpg

Here they are. It is a combo of way cover and way cover wiper but I just want the wiper. I had to convert it to an image because the pdf was too big to post here.

Thanks

Pics didn't turn out too well lol. I am not sure why because they look pretty good on my computer after I converted them to an image

I ordered replacement wiper stock from BUWW for my Hurco bmc30. My inside sales guy was Jarad Buntain. He was a joy to work with! They had the proper C2 material and also the extrusion it gets pressed into in case one of the covers got really tweaked. In fact he was able to send me a couple used plastic widgets that keep the covers from dragging on the guides.
Cost was about $30/meter. I would really recommend them they had a bunch of different types and sent a sample out to make sure before taking my order.
Hahn Rossman

Back