What's new
What's new

Request for 10ee carriage stop pictures

jerholz

Cast Iron
I browsed a few old threads here discussing carriage stops and indicator holders, but the pictures were all on Photobucket and are no longer available. I recently acquired a 10ee (1958 WIAD converted to AC motor with VFD), and need to make a carriage stop. I'm looking for pictures for inspiration. My machine has the dovetail on the left side of the carriage. I'm interested in attachments that mount there and also micrometer stops that clamp to the way.

I have the stop rod mounted in the gear box but the right end is missing something, as there's just a hole there. I'd appreciate a picture of what that looks like as well.

Thanks in advance.

Here are mine. There is a simple dovetail mounted to the apron. You'll notice a slight cutout on the edge of that dovetail ,so that a set screw on the indicator holder can lock on a flat and not the edge and allows a stop so that the indicator holder will locate to the same place and not slide off to the bottom. I made an aluminum backplate/adapter for the large indicator holder, which is a Monarch part, but I think was originally mounted to the tailstock end of the apron. I have an aluminum adapter mounted there(but not pictured). There is the famous "clamshell" indicator holder with cover. And a Monarch stop rod holder , not as a stop but, for indicators only. The end of the headstock stop rod is a very fine thread with locking nuts and a knurled end piece. All this was missing on mine and I made to suit. IMG_0160.jpegIMG_0157.jpegIMG_0158.jpegIMG_0159.jpegIMG_0156.jpeg

Last edited:
Here are some photos in the link of what I believe to be monarch parts. The photobucker makes it hard to see clearly.

A Monarch 4 station stop.

This thread has a couple good photos as well. The item at center left is a plain extension that mounts on the carriage dovetail and will contact the end of the stop rod on the headstock. In that case, a 1/2" micrometer head was installed in the end of the stop rod.

This thread also has some good photos that are not Photobucket hosted. One shows the solid stop I mentioned above in place on the carriage.

At some point in the mid-late 60s, Monarch did away with the dovetail mount and started attaching the various stops to the carriage face with a couple of bolts.

I know of 4 basic carriage stops. The lathe came with the simple stop:

10ee_simple_stop.jpg

The left is the micrometer adjustable stop, right is a simple post mounted on the saddle dovetail. This setup also had an indicator that could mount on the same dovetail:

10ee_clamshell_stop.jpg

You could also have the stop bar interact with a 4 way stop:

10ee_4way_stop.jpg

All of the small micrometer heads so far were Lufkin 680B (680s will also work) from inside micrometer kits. Since the threads were (sort of) standard 5/16-48 you could also use the Starrett 823, the Mitutoyo and Central (best I recall). I got a deal on a bunch of ST inside mic heads and they will work but are 5/16-56.

There was also a (relatively uncommon) micrometer stop designed to take gage blocks for multiple stop positions:

10ee_gage_block_stop.jpg

There was a lot of mix-n-match available between the stops. All of these could act with the carriage stop:

(I can't link for some reason, see it here: http://kepler-eng.com/images/10ee_carriage_stop.jpg )

I think there were only a couple of cross slide stops and both required the cross slide with the dovetail on the right hand side. I think these were more common on manufacturing models.

Last edited:
Here are mine. There is a simple dovetail mounted to the apron. You'll notice a slight cutout on the edge of that dovetail ,so that a set screw on the indicator holder can lock on a flat and not the edge and allows a stop so that the indicator holder will locate to the same place and not slide off to the bottom. I made an aluminum backplate/adapter for the large indicator holder, which is a Monarch part, but I think was originally mounted to the tailstock end of the apron. I have an aluminum adapter mounted there(but not pictured). There is the famous "clamshell" indicator holder with cover. And a Monarch stop rod holder , not as a stop but, for indicators only. The end of the headstock stop rod is a very fine thread with locking nuts and a knurled end piece. All this was missing on mine and I made to suit. View attachment 416268View attachment 416269View attachment 416270View attachment 416271View attachment 416272
I have that small dovetail part but that's it.
That knurled adjustable stop that screws into the notched kickoff rod is the first one that I have seen.
Darryl
Is that a part that you made or an original part?
Either an original part, or your version it's a nice piece.
There's a lot of good photos and information posted here today for future searches.

Like the OP said, doing a search there are a lot of old posted photos that are obscured by Photobucket stamping their advertising.
They did at the least return a lot of photos.

Thanks, yeah I came up with that. Didn't like having to hunt for a allen key. This one didn't have a stop piece ,so I made that one and it's secured by a set screw in the front (that you can't see in this pic). I may have had to remachine the dovetaii, I just don't remember. IMG_0161.jpeg

Last edited:
It should be worth mentioning ( maybe rkepler did) that the fine thread in the end of the Monarch stop rod is a relatively standard fine thread 5/16-48? (i think) is used by most of the US precision tool mfg. Starrett, Lufkin, etc. and tubular inside mics sets that use these threads are/were common on ebay. So just screw the micrometer head in and away you go. My Lufkin set the head has the threads on both ends, (I am sure the Starrett is the same) so you can use the extension tubes in the set as as well.

Last edited:
This is what I got with my 1970 EE. I've seen the black non-micrimeter end for the headstock stop rod on a couple other machines, so I'm guessing it may be an original piece (unless it's part of a Starrett, Lufkin, et. al. micrometer set that I'm not aware of).

20231117_133129.jpg
20231117_133134.jpg

The Lufkin micrometer head (spec'd by Monarch in parts drawings) can be substituted for the solid black end.

20231117_133206.jpg

The aluminum stop plate on the carriage is obviously not original.

20231117_133233.jpg

One question I've always had is whether the long solid stop for the carriage I mentioned above was offered later on, after they'd stopped using the dovetail attachment point. I've never seen one. Perhaps they stopped offering solid stops, and only offered dial indicator brackets for later machines?

Last edited:
That knurled adjustable stop that screws into the notched kickoff rod is the first one that I have seen.

It's not a kickoff rod, though you'd be forgiven for thinking so due to the way it passes through the feed selector housing. All it does is stop the carriage. EEs don't have a feed knockout setup.

Last edited:
It should be worth mentioning ( maybe rkepler did) that the fine thread in the end of the Monarch stop rod is a relatively standard fine thread 5/16-40? (i think) is used by most of the US precision tool mfg. Starrett, Lufkin, etc. and tubular inside mics sets that use these threads are/were common on ebay. So just screw the micrometer head in and away you go. My Lufkin set the head has the threads on both ends, (I am sure the Starrett is the same) so you can use the extension tubes in the set as as well.
That's a good point. Also, the end cap that (I assume) Monarch provided for the Lufkin mic head is different than all the ones I've seen in Lufkin sets... Lufkin's have a much finer point than what's pictured on my stop above.

I altered my post, from what I can see(not great) it is a 5/16-48 thread. If your rare indicator rod bracket is cracked and broken, it can usually be fixed (hopefully). IMG_0162.jpeg

Last edited:
Andy
Thanks, my 10ee hasn't ran yet so I misunderstood that rod.
I am dragging my butt getting my 10ee back together. Time, Time not enough time.
I'll do a search on the automatic shutoff that was offered.
It would be a nice feature on every lathe.
I don't know how often I would use it,
It seems like I'm always working up close to the chuck on the S.B, short workpieces.

This is a great thread.
Thanks to everyone posting all the great photos and explanations. Most Threads on this subject are old threads with the photos are no longer supported or Photobucket obscuring good viewing.

It's not a kickoff rod, though you'd be forgiven for thinking so due to the way it passes through the feed selector housing. All it does is stop the carriage. EEs don't have a feed knockout setup.

Actually, it kinda does. There's a stop on the feed rod that will push the feed rod out of engagement with the gear box. So it'll stop the feed but not with a lot of positional accuracy or precision in adjustment. I leave mine setup as a carriage "emergency stop".

Round dials had a mechanical kick out option. Relatively uncommon, but it was an option that was available. Look through the parts diagrams in a round dial owners manual, its there.

There were also a few additional carriage stop options not shown so far. e.g. there were carriage stops available for the right side of the carriage, as well as the early clamshell indicator holders which came in versions for both left and right travel.

IMG_3064.jpeg

Round dials had a mechanical kick out option. Relatively uncommon, but it was an option that was available. Look through the parts diagrams in a round dial owners manual, its there. ...
It was called "Mechanical Lead Screw Reverse" or MLSR. It's shown on parts picture E-15 in the round-dial manual. As far as I can tell, they only showed up on inline exciter 10EEs. I don't think it was a very successful system and virtually all that have shown up have been deactivated by removing the control rod through the apron. It only worked for threading and apparently would push the headstock threading dog-clutch out of mesh. IIRC, one of the OGs (Russ, Dave ?) posted a page from a brochure that showed it.

Here's a photo of a machine with the MLSR:
EE11559 DSCF2596 MLSR.jpg

Actually, it kinda does. There's a stop on the feed rod that will push the feed rod out of engagement with the gear box. So it'll stop the feed but not with a lot of positional accuracy or precision in adjustment. I leave mine setup as a carriage "emergency stop".

That's true, on earlier EEs. Do you have any idea when Monarch stopped including the feed rod clutch?

I did mis-speak, though, as lathes with ELSR can use that system to knock the feed out. I didn't bring up the MLSR system available on the round dials as (to my understanding) it only worked in threading applications.

The ELSR systems switch off the spindle motor and leave everything mechanically engaged, whereas the feed-rod clutch and the MLSR system disconnect the feed-rod or threading clutch (respectively) and leave the spindle motor running.

Back