What's new
What's new

Request for 10ee carriage stop pictures

Nothing. It's a stop rod only.
AHHHHH. It is just a way to bring the machine to a location and has nothing to do with shutting off the z axis feed. I can't believe I even had to ask. Thanks. I don't believe my machine has any way to shut off the z axis travel whether in thread or feed. Does anyone else have this situation? There is a hole with a bushing in the bottom of the headstock but nothing to pilot the rod that would run through the apron or a pilot in the tailstock end to the rod support.

The stop rod in the head stock is threaded to accept a Lufkin inside micrometer head. There were various fixtures that mounted on the left hand side of the apron to contact the micrometer head. There were also bed mounted stops.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231204-130523.png
    Screenshot_20231204-130523.png
    696.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20231204_130048.jpg
    IMG_20231204_130048.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 8
The stop rod in the head stock is threaded to accept a Lufkin inside micrometer head. There were various fixtures that mounted on the left hand side of the apron to contact the micrometer head. There were also bed mounted stops.
I have gathered this now, thank you guys. The mic setup is just a locating device and has nothing to do with automatic shutting off of anything. At this point, I'm just wondering, if there actually is no automatic z travel shutoff on this machine; if that was ever a manufacturing option. If there is no provision on this machine, is there a way it can be done by making parts to do what machines that did come with the provision do?

I am fully confused on whether or not this lathe has a feed stop. There is no notches in the rod running through the thread direction selector. It looks like someone made a rod on mine just to fill the hole. The machine has the lever and the spring that would engage the notches. What actually disengages when the micrometer adjustment hits the stop rod with the notches in it? Thanks in advance all.

It looks like the "micrometer stop bar" has been replaced with a solid bar and the saddle dovetail for mounting stops and such has been removed. These only provide a stop and don't disengage the feed, on your model there isn't even the emergency feed stop on the feed rod.

(sorry for the repeat, started a reply then did lunch so I didn't see the other replies)

I am fully confused on whether or not this lathe has a feed stop. There is no notches in the rod running through the thread direction selector. It looks like someone made a rod on mine just to fill the hole. The machine has the lever and the spring that would engage the notches. What actually disengages when the micrometer adjustment hits the stop rod with the notches in it? Thanks in advance all.
Definitively not the original rod. This not a feed stop, as such. The rod was intended to be used with a dial indicator to show the carriage position. There were hard stops that could be used with the rod, but those were for manual feed only, where the operator would carefully bring the carriage against the stop. You feed the carriage into one under power and something will break.

Depending on the year of the machine, it might be fitted with an emergency clutch on the feed rod, that will disengage the rod. Look for a sliding collar with a setscrew on the left side of the feed rod.

Back